Retail Week, Reporter
Retail Week is one of EMAP’s most well-respected and successful brands. It creates market-leading content from some of the most skilled journalists in business media.
We’re looking for a great journalist who can break exclusive news and create engaging content that will keep readers coming back to our website. You’re likely to have at least two years’ experience in business journalism and will need a strong track record in off-diary news in a fast-paced digitally-led environment.
This role is a great opportunity to make the most of your multi-media journalistic skills, and learn new ones. It involves everything from writing great profiles or analyses to shooting compelling video. As the latest addition to this team, your role as a reporter will be to drive excellent news output on a busy and highly regarded news desk.
Reporting to the news editor while working alongside two reporters, you will be expected to source exclusive news as well as create content for print and digital channels – video is now a focus for Retail Week.
You will be pivotal to help drive Retail Week’s ongoing transformation to a truly digital first brand, and will be expected to:
• Break agenda-setting news stories that are followed up in the national media
• Represent the Retail Week brand in the market at events and in the media.
• Build and maintain contacts across the retail sector with an emphasis on board level directors
• Develop new content ideas across online and in the magazine and to contribute to the growing portfolio of Retail Week products, including events, clubs and new product launches.
The successful candidate is likely to have at least two years’ experience of writing breaking business news at speed as well as feature writing, and enthusiasm for the opportunities presented by new media - knowledge or experience of the retail sector is a plus but not a necessity.
• You must be able to produce copy to an excellent standard. An ability to make contacts and build relationships with senior people in the sector is vital.
• You should also be comfortable interviewing chief executives, representing the brand at industry events and building a great contact book.
• You will have some experience of working with content management systems. Knowledge of video journalism is a bonus.
• Experience of content management systems, SEO and multi-platform publishing would be beneficial
As a reporter for one of our flagship brands you will embody our core behaviors – be ambitious, curious, a great communicator and have personal integrity. You will also be able to work on your own initiative as well as working in a team and take direction. You should also be able to think on your feet and be decisive, a natural self-starter, enthusiastic, organised and able to multi-task.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive + Bonus + Bens
EMAP is a fast-growing UK and MENA content and subscriptions business with a portfolio of market-leading brands operating in some of the most influential business sectors – fashion, retail, architecture, construction & engineering and building services.
We connect influential people and organisations to a high-value network of decision makers across these sectors through a mixture of content, subscription, data, digital products and networking events.
As a result, we have over 84,000 loyal, paying subscribers and over 50,000 events customers who derive value from our content, the relationships we help them form and the networks which we provide access.
EMAP is based in the vibrant Shoreditch/Old Street area, famed as the ‘Digital Hub’ of London boasting a huge variety of shops, bars and restaurants.
Our offices are modern, open planned (built around a ‘dynamic working culture’ of hot-desking) and spacious, boasting kitchens on each floor and working areas designed for private and collaborative working – breakout areas with leather sofas and a library.