N&S Digital, Nature Editor
Job title: Nature Editor
Department: N&S Digital
Location: Lower Thames Street
The role of the Online Nature Editor is to write and edit market-leading nature, animal and pet exclusives while managing the website’s nature landing page to maximise web traffic.
Experience on the nationals and/or in a digital news environment would be useful.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an expanding digital news operation in our London HQ. Please apply with CV.
- To generate a daily news list, focusing on nature content on a day-to-day basis, ensuring that the focus is always on the site’s most-searchable stories.
- To stay on top of all developments in the natural world and nature coverage from TV documentaries and cover those on the site.
- To use your PR and charity contacts to pull in exclusive interviews and news stories that will deliver a richness of content to the site.
- To push content via Facebook, Google+ and Twitter, in accordance with the digital social media policy.
- To optimise stories in accordance with the digital SEO strategy.
- To be able to react quickly to breaking news stories.
- To, wherever possible, identify unique headlines and angles for stories covered elsewhere to make content more searchable.
- To keep a close eye on nature content and, where necessary, correct typos and factual errors and flag possible legal concerns.
- To demonstrate an understanding of media law.
- To write and edit in accordance with digital house style.
- To manage and foster relationships, where needed, to generate celebrity/nature blogs and columns.
- To offer support and coaching where required, and to make sure there is cover 7am-11pm.
- To read all the other national sites specialising in nature content and form a thorough knowledge of competitors.
- To constantly monitor Twitter for breaking stories surrounding the natural world.
- The online nature editor will also be expected to carry out interviews and attend some events.
Key skills and experience:
- Proven background of specialising in nature content, sourcing exclusives, copy editing.
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines, multitask, forward plan, develop relationships with PRs and management.
- Experienced digital journalist with familiarity with CMS, Photoshop, Google Analytics.
- Understanding of different types of web traffic, and how to to increase organic traffic.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to nurture and develop writing talent, grammatical skills.
- Professional understanding of journalism law.
- Understanding of the online market and the expectations of the reader.
- Attention to detail.
- Flexible approach to working hours including weekends and lates.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this position please e-mail your CV with a covering letter to email@example.com by close of 21st January 2015, quoting the job title in the ‘subject’ box of your email.