Digital Spy, Deputy Editor
Digital Spy is recruiting a Deputy Editor.
First class content and audience engagement continue to be priorities for 2015, and we want to build upon strong foundations with a senior editorial hire who will be a powerful addition to Digital Spy's ambitious editorial team.
The successful candidate will be an experienced journalist who will lead delivery of impassioned, informed and entertaining content across a variety of formats - including video.
We are looking for someone brimming with ideas, passionate about the topics we cover, with a proven track record of delivering brilliant editorial and managing editorial staff.
They will be full of ambition and ideas which will push Digital Spy's entertainment and tech coverage to the next level. They will work with the editor, section editors and reporters to continue to create and evolve the high quality output that our readers thrive on.
Digital Spy, a Hearst Magazines UK company, is one of the UK's largest entertainment news websites and winner of the AOP's Best Consumer Website award in 2014. The site is also home to one of the largest and busiest internet discussion forums in the world.
This position is based at our offices in Soho, London W1. Hours are 9.30am-5.30pm, with some work outside of these times.
You will report into and work alongside the Digital Spy editor, and along with him be responsible for daily and long term content strategy, as well as management of a team of 20 editorial staff and a large number of freelance contributors.
Salary is dependent upon experience.
- Content leadership across Digital Spy - inspiring and enabling the editorial team to deliver best in class high-velocity breaking news, expert features and engaging original content - including videos;
- Striving to ensure that all published editorial from staff and freelance contributors is accurate, informed and of the highest quality;
- Conceiving and delivering brilliant content and original ideas that enable us to grow our audience and delight entertainment fans;
- Working with the editor and appropriate staff to evolve editorial processes and practices;
- Working alongside our Audience Development Team to build DS success on social media, using analytics to inform content decisions;
- Working with the commercial team to ensure appropriate appeal to advertisers without impacting upon editorial integrity;
- Maintaining sound and appropriate working relationships with PRs and representatives of key companies and brands, representing DS at conferences, press events and product launches when necessary.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Demonstrable experience as a senior editorial team member or correspondent for a respected brand or title;
- Strong communication skills, able to manage reporting staff, negotiate and liaise at all levels;
- First-rate knowledge of and an insatiable passion for DS subject matter of entertainment and tech;
- A good understanding of digital publishing (for example content management systems, social media, SEO and analytics, video creation).
How to apply
Please provide a covering letter stating any relevant previous experience, the reasons why you have the experience and ability to take this role at Digital Spy, and an outline of your vision for the brand in 2015.
Please also submit links to a selection of your recent work including news, features, reviews or other relevant published content.