Fishing News Weekly, Contract Editor
IntraFish Media is hiring a full-time Contract Editor for Fishing News Weekly, the largest and most important provider of timely news to the UK fishing industry.
The chosen candidate for the London-based position should have at least three years experience editing a daily or weekly print publication, and demonstrate a track record of successfully assigning, copy editing and producing the titles from blank page to finished product.
The readers of this publication expect the latest industry news and features, and the full support and dedication at all times of their industry and their cause from a paper that heralds itself as ‘the voice of the industry’ for the past 100 years.
Though a basic understanding of the UK and Irish fishing industry is a huge plus, it is not strictly necessary for the role. Candidates must demonstrate an ability to quickly grasp complex topics and produce clean, concise copy, however. The position works with a team of two other editorial staffers, designers and administrative staff, and therefore requires excellent interpersonal skills.
The position has the possibility of developing into a full-time position. Payment will be on a weekly basis, amount depends on experience.
The successful candidate will need the following attributes:
- The ability to look at sometimes complex data and reports and summarise this into concise and digestible news stories for readers;
- Maintain current good relationships and contacts in the fishing industry, such as with the Producer Organisations, industry representatives and fishermen, as well as with regulatory authorities;
- Keep contact and use in rotation the work supplied from Fishing News’ freelance contributors’ list;
- Be able to recognise and prioritise good and important news stories
The editor of Fishing News will need the following skills:
- A friendly and professional disposition;
- Ability to take and follow instruction and direction, as well as being able to delegate work and deal with editorial staff;
- Maintain a good working relationship with office staff in other departments of the publication such as production, design, sales & subscriptions;
- Be able to manage budgets and keep within these;
- Experienced in general PC operations (Word, Outlook, Adobe);
- A clean driving licence and current passport.
Fishing News Weekly is an IntraFish Media title. IntraFish Media is the world’s largest provider of news and information to the seafood industry via IntraFish.com, Seafood International, Fishing News International, Fish Farming International and two Norway-based publications. To apply for the position, please send CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org