Time Out, UK Food & Drink Editor
Time Out was founded in 1968 in London and over the past 47 years it has consistently maintained its status as the ‘go to’ source of inspiration for urban adventurers, helping them discover the newest and best things to do, see and experience in their city.
Time Out’s global distribution network incorporates a comprehensive online presence, an offers and e-commerce platform, mobile applications, city magazines, travel guides, live events and syndicated content partnerships.
Sometimes irreverent but always intelligent, Time Out London provides passionate coverage of music, film, theatre, dance, shopping, dining and more. Time Out directly manages operations across 45 cities worldwide, and extends that reach through brand franchisee partners in a further 44 cities around the globe. Time Out’s combined brand audience (across digital, print and social media) is approximately 37 million fans in 89 cities in 38 countries worldwide.
Time Out is looking for a Food and Drink Editor who can help shape the future for food and drink across the Time Out UK cities (including London, Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bristol and Birmingham).
An excellent Editor and Writer with a proven track record, you must be passionate and knowledgeable about every aspect of food and drink, and capable of communicating that enthusiasm and knowledge to the widest possible audience.
You will know the sector well, have a commercial approach and eagerness to drive revenue, experience of growing a community and creating engagement via social channels.
You will understand Time Out’s tone of voice and editorial remit and come with great ideas to extend it. You will have a great contacts in the industry and in the field of food and drink media, new and old. As well as understanding the sector, you will have a keen eye for future trends and understand how to capitalise on the ways in which people share enthusiasm and information about eating and drinking.
This is a senior role for an ambitious journalist with fresh ideas and the ability to implement them. You will be able to recruit your own team, and will be expected and supported to grow this core area for Time Out.
Content creation and audience growth
- Develop a food and drink strategy that grows audience and maximises engagement and revenue potential for the section.
- Generate ideas to exploit a variety of social media networks and create shareable content that engages with the Time Out audience on these platforms.
- Editing and proofing the food and drink section across all platforms (print, digital, mobile), creating original content, sourcing images where necessary and generating a constant stream of ideas: ensuring your sections remain up-to-date and refreshed and that Time Out’s high editorial standards are met.
- Develop and accurately edit features, ensuring all online content is well targeted for SEO and has appropriate and compelling metadata. Ensure that all relevant copyrights have been cleared and that content meets legal guidelines.
- Generate a constant stream of new ideas for all platforms and play a role in developing new multiplatform ideas for Time Out products, including outside of your section.
- Contribute to the central features well across magazine and digital as required.
- Create content for digital and print use as required, including listings, reviews, interviews and features - understand how to maximise the digital impact/value of Time Out content and keep up-to-date with the latest relevant technologies and digital developments.
- Assist in the creation of commercial packages where necessary.
- Managing the smooth day-to-day running of the food and drink department, including section staff, layout and production cycle of all food and drink content across all platforms and ensuring daily and weekly deadlines are met.
- Ensure section comes in on budget/ liaising with Publisher on budget/ commission and making sure all paperwork is kept up-to-date.
Working with …
- Working with online producers and product managers to ensure that the Time Out website – in this channel and as a whole – continues to grow.
- Work closely with e-commerce and events teams to ensure we are delivering the best possible offering to our food and drink audience.
- Liaise with TO marketing and commercial teams to support the business commercial objectives.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with relevant 3rd parties in order to exploit editorial and commercial opportunities.
- Maintain awareness of writers/bloggers who might successfully contribute material for your section.
- Any other reasonable instructions from the Editor-in-Chief.
- Grow the food and drink audience and engagement.
- Create and develop content that fulfils the overall commercial and business requirements of Time Out Group.
- Maintain and develop strong internal and external working relationships, dealing professionally with colleagues across the Time Out group.
- Be an authority on the Time Out brand and competitors.
Formal Education & Certification
- Educated to degree standard.
- Any further related qualifications.
Knowledge & Experience
- A demonstrable passion for, and understanding of, food and drink.
- Excellent writing, interviewing, copy and image editing skills
- Experience of managing teams and budgets
- Proven ability to work with the various tools of the trade e.g. content management systems, photo, video and audio editing software and a basic knowledge of HTML.
- Excellent contacts within the industry and journalism
- Strong editorial track record preferably including managing writers, bloggers and community.
- Ability to commission content which is optimised for search, or for social shareablity.
- Passion for and understanding of image-based social media (i.e. Pinterest; Instagram)
- Awareness of key London events and launches throughout the calendar year.
- Demonstrable track record of producing content that drives uniques online and engages users.
- Excellent relevant contacts within the industry.
- Experience of promoting online content through SEO and social media.
- Ability to commission for multiple platforms – not just copy, but images and multimedia.
- Proven ability to work effectively with marketing, commercial, editorial, design and technical teams.
- Problem solving and creative thinking abilities.
- Exceptional time and project management and the ability to juggle long and short-term deadlines in a dynamic working environment.
- Ability to manage stakeholders effectively.
- Keen awareness of commercial imperatives, in particular driving transactional revenue.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Thorough and analytical with exemplary attention to detail.
- Ability to think laterally and visually about editorial ideas.
- Confident and ambitious with a can-do attitude.
- Good planning and time management skills.
- Passionate advocate of Time Out products.
- Passionate about London and the arts.
- Adhoc projects.
- Assisting in raising the profile of Time Out Limited.
- Ensure that the brand standards are met across all platforms.
- Promote the brand and its values at all opportunities.
- Any other reasonable requests from the Company Directors/CEO.
Successful candidates will be required to attend at least one face-to-face interview at our London office.
Please submit a CV and covering letter to us by clicking 'Apply' below.
The deadline for applications is 5pm on Monday 31 August 2015. Applications after this date will not be considered.