Build It, Deputy Editor
Build It magazine is looking for a dynamic, forward-thinking Deputy Editor to become a senior member of its talented, innovative team.
Build It is a monthly consumer publication aimed at people building or renovating their own homes. Most readers will an employ an architect and/or builders to do most of the work, but they crave the detailed knowledge that will help them oversee the creation of their dream home. The successful candidate will conceive, write and edit features and commission reader homes to meet this information need, as well as support the Editor in developing the brand.
The role is likely to suit a Deputy Editor looking for their next challenge, or a Features Editor or similar senior staffer with some management experience seeking a step up. The preferred candidate will have previously worked successfully in the homes or construction sector.
Build It is growing very fast as a successful, multi-platform brand covering print, digital and live events. The Deputy Editor will be expected to contribute to the development of the brand across all these channels.
You should possess exceptional writing and journalistic skills and a knack for expressing technical information in an accessible way. You should have a keen eye for images and the desire and ability to seek out the very best homes and stories to suit our brand and target audience.
You will be a confident, well-organised and pro-active individual. You will also be an excellent team player with good communication skills and ideally some experience managing staff.
- Manage the commissioning and timely delivery of reader homes in conjunction with Editor
- Conceive, research, write and edit articles and source images to a high standard
- Contribute to the brand’s development and play an active role in forward planning
- Assist in sub-editing and signing off the magazine for print
- Generate ideas for new, engaging content that will connect with our readers
- Manage some supplements and other spin-off projects throughout the year
- Assist in management and training of junior staff members on both print and digital platforms
- Represent the magazine at industry events, press events and client meetings
- Become a guardian of the brand, capable of maintaining our house style and values – especially in the Editor’s absence
- Maintain a blog on Build It’s website and contribute towards the site’s growth
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter stating why you believe you would suit this role to Chris Bates, Editor, by 21 September by clicking 'Apply'. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.