Evening Standard, Head of Social Media
We are looking for a social media professional to lead the Standard’s strategy on the site and across all platforms.
ESI Media is an innovative multichannel media business, with a cross-platform reach of 23.1m. Our brands include the London Evening Standard, The Independent and London Live. We have offices based in the UK and US.
We are looking for an experienced social media professional to be responsible for the Evening Standard and Homes & Property strategies across all social media platforms.
Leading our social media team, you will be working closely with the site’s editors and data analysis team to grow our audiences in a 24/7 environment in London, the UK and globally.
You will lead and manage the social media team to improve online engagement and grow traffic across all content desks, focusing on curation, event planning and data analysis.
- Minimum of two years’ social media experience in a digital news environment
- Strong familiarity with the ESHP brands and our coverage
- A keen sense of the topics and issues of the day and an appreciation of what type of content works well online
- Experience of collaborating with editors to grow audience both on site and across platforms
- Experience of being briefed by various stakeholders, to prioritise tasks and to work quickly and accurately under pressure
- Be comfortable in a fast-paced media environment and have the flexibility to work within a 24/7 rota, including evening and weekend shifts
- Be adept at reacting quickly to an ever-changing agenda and making the most of a large and varied inventory of content
- Have an understanding of the key role data analytics play in story selection and execution and familiarity with the tools which assist this
You will need to
- Take responsibility for the social media team in achieving stated objectives in terms of traffic growth and online engagement
- Oversee all ESHP social platforms
- Communicate best practices for distributing, sharing and optimizing content
- Oversee posts across all social media platforms across our entire operation
- Work with Head of Video to develop a coherent and successful social video strategy
- Work closely with content heads to inform and advise on creating original and unique stories that will drive engagement on social media
- Develop methods of sourcing and publishing native social content
- Constantly monitor and register social media trends and new platforms/channels
- Reflect the broad range of content from across the site
- Ensure best-use and projection of images and video content on social media platforms
- Ensure that all content is of the highest possible standard and adheres to ‘house-brand’ requirements, with an awareness of the readers’ point of view
- Ensure legal and taste and decency obligations are adhered to
- Be able to listen to and take on board editors’ input while demonstrating ability to originate and execute own ideas
- Where necessary, work with commercial colleagues to give guidance on delivering campaigns.
Skills and experience
- Two years’ social media experience in fast-paced digital content environment
- Proven track record for increasing traffic, followers and engagement
- Extensive experience of driving community and engagement through social media
- Understanding of the importance of, and ability to make most of, data sciences available
- Experience of managing a team and the ability to work alongside and influence key stakeholders outside the immediate team
- Understanding of and ability to execute social media strategy across a widespread and busy newsroom
- Identify content with high-interest and traffic potential
- Experience collaborating with editors to grow and increase audience, both on site and across platforms.
- Ability to clearly communicate best practices within large editorial operations
- Sound knowledge of trends and tools for social media platforms
- A good eye for images and photographs
- Skilled writer and content creator
- Ability to manage a 24/7 social media rota
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focussed way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations by completing the application form below.
Closing date: Friday 15 December.