EDF Energy, External Communications Officer
EDF Energy, one of the UK’s largest energy companies and the largest producer of low-carbon electricity, are looking for an External Communications Officer to support our customer business.
This is a varied role that will see the candidate supporting across media, government and stakeholder relations, with some additional support on digital activity when required.
It will cover many interesting and high-profile topics and campaigns, including energy pricing, the smart meter programme, energy efficiency programmes, and skills and education.
The External Communications Officer will have previous experience working in external communications either in-house or within an agency, with a good understanding of the media, political environment and consumer affairs.
They will work closely with the wider communications team, including digital and brand, business unit leads, and our external agencies to provide integrated communications support to include:
- Support for the delivery of a coordinated communications plan aligned to the strategic priorities of EDF Energy
- Responding to political, media and corporate issues affecting EDF Energy
- Maintaining excellent relations with relevant external stakeholders, including media, politicians, stakeholders, and relevant consumer groups
- Act as a key contact for leaders within the customer business providing counsel on external issues
Nature and Scope
This role reports to the Senior External Communications Manager – Customers. It sits within of the Communications Directorate within Strategy and Corporate Affairs and is part of a wider external communications team, designed to provide flexible support in both media relations and public affairs with the whole team able to deliver the best possible service.
Key relationships include:
- senior managers and leaders within the EDF Energy Customer business,
- the Senior External Communications Managers and Head of External Communications,
- subject matter experts within the business, including in policy and regulation
- political contacts, stakeholders, consumer groups and national and regional media
The External Communications Officer will escalate issues as appropriate to the Senior External Communications Managers or the Head of External Communications, and will make recommendations and suggest solutions on communications issues.
The External Communications Officer will:
- be based at one of our customer sites in Hove or Croydon. There may be additional occasional travel to EDF Energy offices and sites as required by the business
- work closely with other External Communications manager in the External Communications team to share skills and provide a 24/7 external communications operation
- Support the Senior External Communications Manager for Customers in delivering the communications plan for the Customers Business, working closely with the Customers external communications team
- Provide advice and guidance on external communications issues, identifying risks and pro-actively protecting the company’s reputation
- Support proactive and reactive media activity, and build strong relationships with relevant media
- Plan and draft communication materials and briefings on specific issues
- Support wider cross-business Customer communications initiatives – for example Party Conferences, lobbying campaigns, Research and Development
- Support effective stakeholder engagement and speaker programmes for senior executives within the customer business, proactively highlighting opportunities that support the strategic communications plan
- Manage the MP and media complaints handling process and liaise with the complaints team to ensure that all complaints are responded to within a reasonable timeframe
- Manage parliamentary and media monitoring services including liaising with suppliers and providing support to team members to fully utilise
- Responsible for ensuring the timely and accurate compilation and submission of accurate reports, including monitoring of key events, weekly activity reports, monthly coverage reviews and internal reporting such as risk registers
- Contribute to effective management of the retained agencies and develop strong working relationships with key consumer and internal stakeholders
- Promote the integration of social media within all external communications activity and take a role in improving content on consumer issues
- Participation in the out of hours duty press office rota providing a 24-hour on-call media response
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
- Previous media relations experience with a good understanding of the UK media, preferably within the consumer space
- And / or experience in managing public affairs or stakeholder activity and events for a complex organisation
- Ability to communicate complex topics to a wide audience
- Good influencing skills and ability to work well with others in a large and complex organisation, including senior leaders in business.
- Evidence of external experience and interest in UK politics, including knowledge of the UK political process
- Proven ability to work under pressure to manage fast moving issues and deliver to tight deadlines
- Ability to commission and publish content on media and digital channels
- Experience working on consumer issues highly desirable, energy experience helpful
Click 'Apply' now.