Evening Standard, Local Democracy Reporter
Reports to: Associated Editor, News
ESI Media is an innovative multichannel media business, with a cross-platform reach of 23.1m. Our brands include the London Evening Standard, The Independent and London Live. We have offices based in the UK and US.
The ES Digital News team
The Evening Standard is offering you a unique opportunity to be its first Local Democracy Reporter.
Based in London you will be part of a ground-breaking partnership between the BBC and news publishers throughout the UK. The role will initially be on a two-year fixed term contract working on our print and digital content.
The successful candidate will provide in-depth coverage of the work of local authorities in three of the capital’s key boroughs – Tower Hamlets, Newham and Barking & Dagenham – ensuring timely scrutiny of local government business in those areas.
Reporting to the Standard’s news editor, the Local Democracy Reporter will be adept at producing excellent written copy as well as engaging audio-visual material for use on online platforms.
The scheme is funded by the BBC and the successful candidate for the Standard’s role will be among the first tranche of local democracy reporters working at publishers across the country.
They will therefore have the chance to shape the way the project develops in the coming years, and to become a trusted ambassador for the scheme.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Deliver engaging print and digital content on a daily basis, primarily focusing on written material but also providing images, audio and video as required
- Produce content which drives audiences through SEO and an understanding of social media
- Ensure all content is politically neutral and balanced
- Scrutinise agendas for council meetings and examine the workings of public bodies in the relevant locality, identifying issues and stories which need to be brought to public attention
- Deliver live content, including two-way interviews for broadcast as required
- Provide monthly report on key issues and themes from public authorities for stakeholder media organisations
- Build strong contacts in your patch to ensure you are best-placed to unearth stories of public interest
Skills and experience
- You will have two years’ experience as a reporter in a daily newsroom environment and/or working to daily news deadlines.
- You will be qualified to the NCTJ’s NQJ level or equivalent.
- Your news writing will be first class and you will have strong shorthand to 100wpm speed
- You will have up to date legal/regulatory knowledge
- You will have proven ability to communicate on social media and be familiar with digital tools and techniques across a range of mobile devices
- You will have a thorough and demonstrable understanding of the workings of local government – and an ability to make the subject engaging in all formats
- Naturally you must be able to thrive under pressure
Please note that, although you will be employed by the Evening Standard, the work you produce will be available for use by all publisher partners in the local democracy reporter scheme.
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focussed way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations by completing the application form below.
Closing date: Monday 22 January 2018.