*Research, Reporter / Senior Reporter
Established in 1994, *Research is an independently owned publisher of authoritative news, analysis and comment on research policy, research funding and research politics.
Our teams cover everything from industrial policy, new funding schemes, to open access. Our UK online news service and magazine Research Fortnight and its sister digital title HE are essential reading across universities, funding agencies, governments, parliaments and learned societies, while Research Europe occupies a similar role in the EU.
We provide updates by email for more than 200,000 paid-for online subscribers. In short, we are at the centre of many debates at the intersection of science and politics.
Reporter / Senior Reporter focussed on higher education and research policy in the UK.
Purpose of the role
The reporter role is for a journalist with a background in news reporting and a strong interest in higher education, science and politics. Demonstrable knowledge of higher education, the research world and the workings of UK government is preferable.
The candidate must show a knack for discovering and pitching off-diary and on-diary breaking stories in a specialist field. We produce daily output and need a fast, reliable and accurate writer who feels comfortable in a busy newsroom and can report to deadline from events around London and abroad.
Journalistic experience is essential, ideally in a professional context although promising graduates with demonstrable experience of student news journalism may be considered.
The information on responsibilities in this role description relates to the reporter level position; however we would also welcome applications from more experienced candidates at senior reporter level, who could expect greater responsibility and a commensurate salary.
- Generating, researching and writing on-diary and off-diary news stories
- Covering dedicated beat areas, taking responsibility for ensuring significant developments are reported in a timely manner
- Interviewing people in a range of different circumstances
- Developing and maintaining a network of contacts to maintain a flow of news
- Seeking out and investigating stories via your contacts, press releases and other media
- Contributing coverage to other areas of *Research’s editorial coverage as directed by news editors and editors
- Writing short 'fillers' and researching and writing longer feature articles, sometimes for subsidiary publications and supplements
- 'Live' online reporting or real-time blogging when covering important events - a growing area of work
- Reporting via social media and promoting our news stories on the web
- Producing concise, clear and accurate journalistic copy according to the house style and to strict deadlines
- Uploading content to the website
- Attending press conferences and asking questions
- Representing *Research at a range of networking events, including evening events
- Answering the phones on the news desk and reacting to breaking news stories
- Working closely with other news team members and editors
- Recording interviews and meetings using shorthand or technical equipment
- Supporting and contributing to the team, especially during periods of high workload, such as press night
Skills & Experience (what is required to do the job)
- At least 2 years’ reporting experience or a graduate with significant demonstrable experience
- A proven ability to work in a high-pressure environment writing daily news to tight deadlines
- High degree of accuracy
- Impressive organisational skills
- A highly analytical and critical mind
- An understanding of universities, and an appetite for the detail of policy and politics
- Proven editorial/research experience in a fast paced environment
- Excellent copywriting skills
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Strong MS Office and familiarity with social media
- A great news sense
- Self motivated & enthusiastic
- Calm under pressure
- Builds good relationships at all levels
- Responds quickly to changing circumstances
- A team player who is happy to support others
- The role involves occasional overnight travel, as well as attendance at parliamentary debates and events that may take place during evenings or early mornings
What we offer
- A positive, inspiring and welcoming team
- Breaking news reporting in a specialist field
- Attendance of conferences and events all over the world
- Training from excellent editors in all aspects of print and online journalism
- Podcast and online presentation skills
- Great career opportunities – many of our reporters have moved on to section editor and editor positions in specialist and national media
If this role fits your ambitions, please email a CV, three examples of your journalism, and a covering letter explaining what makes you our ideal candidate by completing the application form below.
The deadline for applications is 8 June. Early applications may be prioritised.
Research Europe, Research Fortnight, Research Africa, Funding Insight and HE are part of the *Research family of subscription-only publications. Examples of our news content can be accessed for free via @resfortnight and @he_analyst. For more information on the company please go to info.researchprofessional.com.