Evening Standard, Online Reporter
The Evening Standard Online is looking for an outstanding News Reporter to join our award-winning team as we continue to expand after yet another record-breaking month as the UK’s fastest growing news site.
We are looking for an ambitious reporter to join a fast-paced 24/7 operation, covering not just the capital’s breaking stories but also serving our ever-growing UK and global audiences.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a rapidly growing dynamic team and drive the Evening Standard’s far-reaching editorial content and digital presence.
You will be part of a team of around 12 reporters covering breaking news, politics, crime, health, education and transport. Working to the news editor or their assistant, you will pitch original ideas as well as completing assignments handed to you. You will be expected to put together a complete package of words, pictures and video.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
You will need to
- Deliver engaging and shareable stories that are relevant to our audience
- Generate original story ideas
- Produce error-free copy to tight deadlines
- Ensure best-use of images and video content
- Work closely with specialist colleagues in social, video, SEO, TV, data, print and other areas to generate and publish well-written and well-presented content
- Ensure that all content is of the highest possible standard and adheres to ‘house-brand’ requirements, with an awareness of the readers’ point of view.Ensure legal and taste and decency obligation are adhered to.
- Conduct research to uncover interesting and significant news/stories.
- Where necessary work with commercial colleagues to give guidance on delivering campaigns.
- Work across different sections and stand in for colleagues as and when required.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Ability to generate own news stories
- Producing fast and accurate copy on breaking stories
- Identify stories with high-interest and traffic potential
- Two years’ experience of working in a fast-paced newsroom
- Ability to write strong headlines
- A good understanding of SEO and social media strategies to ensure stories are seen by a wide audience
- A good eye for images and photographs
- Video editing experience
- NCTJ qualification or equivalent
- Flexibility to cover a 24/7 rota, including evenings and weekends
- Expert Understanding of the data in journalism for story discovery and story treatment.
- Good writer, communicator and visual story-teller.
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations by completing the application form below.
Closing date: Friday 25 May