ICON, Deputy Editor
Established in 2003, Media 10 is the most awarded media and events company in the UK, based in Loughton, Essex.
We have a growing portfolio of over 30 live events covering design, interiors, lifestyle and construction. As well as Media 10 being specialists in the events sector, the company’s creative flare produces well established publications and owns a series of award winning magazines and websites.
We not only enjoy what we do, we love it! We are passionate about delivering the very best results in everything we do and expect our team members to have the same passion.
Deputy Editor - The Brand
ICON is one of the world’s leading architecture and design brands, with a global perspective.
It has grown out of a highly regarded print magazine which now also has a presence across multiple platforms, including digital, social and experiential (events etc).
ICON interviews the most exciting and influential architects and designers in the world; visits the best new buildings; analyses the most interesting emerging cultural movements and technologies, and reviews an eclectic range of exhibitions, books, products and films. Beautifully presented, rigorous and insightful, yet also accessible, ICON showcases the latest and best in architecture and design today, and considers its implications for the future.
The Deputy Editor, ICON, is a senior member of the editorial management team and plays a key part in the strategic development of the brand across all platforms.
The Deputy Editor takes the lead in developing the brand’s digital presence, as well as playing a key role on the magazine itself. The Deputy Editor reports to the Editor, working closely with her and deputising for her across all aspects of her role, including print, digital and industry events.
The Deputy Editor will be brimming with ideas for themes and features and be equally skilled at making those ideas happen . They will have a specialist knowledge of architecture and design, and a wealth of established contacts within that world, plus experience of working for a print magazine.
ICON has an international outlook so they must also be willing to travel. Critically-minded with an eye for accuracy, our preferred candidate will have the skills to push good copy towards excellence; to visualise concepts and to meet deadlines. In addition, they will be expected to contribute their own features to the magazine and website, so a strong track record in writing is essential.
The Deputy Editor will:
- Take the lead in developing the brand’s digital presence, eg iconeye.com
- Assist the editor in planning and commissioning the magazine
- Write features, profiles and reviews
- Oversee production of Icon: edit copy, manage copy flow, proof reading
- Work with Icon’s commercial team to develop brand extensions
- Represent Icon at industry events and on overseas press trips
We’re looking for an experienced journalist with drive, creativity and production experience across print and digital platforms. A background of working on commercial projects and public speaking is also desirable.
Our ideal candidate will have all (or most) of the following:
- Specialist knowledge of architecture and design
- Portfolio of strong writing
- Track record of commissioning and editing first-class writers
- Extensive industry contacts
- Experience of managing staff and freelancers
- Experience working on a print magazine
- Excellent sub-editing skills
- Familiarity with using search and social data, plus market intelligence, to generate content ideas for all platforms
- Working knowledge of data and social analytics tools (eg Google Analytics, SEO MOZ)
- Familiarity with using standard CMS systems and social tools to post content
- Generous holiday allowance
- Company pension plan
- Free tickets to all our events for you, friends and family
- Free magazines from our portfolio and a 50% discount on all subscriptions
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounts in local stores
- Free eye tests and subsidised glasses
- Season Ticket Loan
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Bonuses tied to length of service
- The Media 10 awards. Every year, you vote for the winners – who are then whisked off to an all-day lunch with our CEO.
- Two HUGE parties at Christmas and in the summer – all expenses paid. Check out our Instagram for more details.
- Fruit 24/7
Think you've got what it takes to be our next Deputy Editor? Complete the application form below and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch - we can't wait to hear from you!