HSJ, News Manager
Main Purpose of Role
This is a pivotal role at the heart of a busy, successful and highly motivated news team. It may suit a sub-editor who wants a broader role in the newsroom, or a news editor/experienced news journalist who wants to shape the output of a large and thriving newsdesk.
The news manager oversees and coordinates the news and analysis work and output of HSJ’s 11-strong team of journalists. It involves managing, overseeing and editing this output to make a high impact in our sector and beyond, and to gain the best engagement from our subscribers, who are senior staff working in and with the NHS.
You work closely with senior HSJ journalists to decide the news agenda and manage the team, and with our team of production staff based in Mumbai to get the work out to readers.
Experience in health or a similar sector is a plus.
Duties of the role
- Managing our output on HSJ.co.uk and multiple subscriber email newsletters each day, with input from senior HSJ journalists.
- Shaping our strategy for engaging our subscribers.
- Ensuring our output continues to make a high impact with our subscribers and beyond.
- Managing daily and weekly news/content lists and copy flow.
- Editing news stories and analysis pieces, along with other senior HSJ journalists.
- Managing newsdesk social media activity.
- Monitoring engagement.
- Ensuring, with sub editors, that news and analysis is presented accurately and cleanly, and in the most engaging way.
- Assisting and advising journalists on developing presentation of content, such as use of video, audio and charts.
Skills and Experience Required:
- Very strong news writing and/or news editing skills and experience.
- Substantial experience on a news-led publication.
- Knowledge and skills in digital presentation of news, such as headline writing for online.
- Understanding online engagement.
- Aptitude with content management systems.
Click 'Apply' now.