Dugout, Assistant Editor - Content Team | Football
What is Dugout?
Dugout is a unique global media business, co-founded by 10 of the world’s biggest football clubs: AC Milan, Arsenal FC, FC Barcelona, FC Bayern Munich, Chelsea FC, Juventus FC, Liverpool FC, Manchester City FC, Paris Saint-Germain FC and Real Madrid CF.
Currently Dugout has over 80 partners on its platform, dugout.com and comprised of football clubs, leagues and federations, all of whom work collaboratively with Dugout to produce hundreds of hours of video content each week.
Examples of this content include the Dugout original series (short-form and episodic formats), documentaries and exclusives. Dugout captures the key moments in the competitive football calendar such as El Clásico and the FA Cup Final, as well as being granted access to events no other filmmakers can cover. Dugout recently collaborated with Paris Saint-Germain to document Neymar’s move to the club from FC Barcelona.
Dugout has thousands of hours of archive footage at its fingertips enabling us to revisit key moments in a club’s history, as well as building compilations and boxsets of content on players as their careers develop and they move from one club to another.
Beyond video content viewed on dugout.com, our content is enjoyed by football fans around the world through distribution partnerships with major publishers on third-party platforms such as Apple, Amazon and on the social media channels of the clubs.
Dugout is headquartered in London and has regional teams based in its offices in Istanbul, Cairo and Singapore. Beyond this, the company has full-time staff in cities such as Paris, Munich, Barcelona, Milan, Hanoi and Jakarta.
Role | Assistant Editor | Content team
We are looking for an Assistant Editor for our Content team. This is a new full-time role and it is based in London. The role will often require weekend or evening work due to the nature of the sector.
The successful candidate will report to the Lead Editor of Content.
The role requires an individual who has a good working knowledge of international football and who deeply understands the commercial drivers of international football clubs, e.g. who owns the club and why they bought it, who the sponsors are and why the sponsor particularly wanted access to a team’s audience, and why transfers occur beyond pure player ability, e.g. the development of new audiences for clubs by hiring foreign players from emerging markets.
Dugout has currently defined three key geographical areas of focus for Content:
- Dugout Limited, London | covering all international areas with the exception of the two areas below and including Turkey.
- Dugout MENA, Cairo | covering the Middle East and North Africa.
- Dugout SEA, Singapore | covering South East Asia and, at the current time, excluding PRC and Japan.
Later in 2018, we will execute the next steps in our international growth and Dugout’s Content needs will reach into other geos. The Content team, along with the rest of Dugout, is fast moving towards a ’round-the-clock, 24-hour’ model.
The day-to-day responsibilities will be:
- Having strong creative and editorial judgment over content and ensuring that all content is produced to the highest quality in areas including but not limited to accuracy, relevancy and timeliness and at the same time staying way ahead of what is happening in user habits and how the fans’ mindset is moving.
- Providing the Lead Editor with a daily morning news briefing of the most important football and current affairs stories of interest to Dugout from both a content and business perspective.
- Ensuring the Lead Editor is aware of the daily schedule of content production and working with the production co-ordinator to ensure production stays on track and the global content plan is implemented effectively.
- Working closely with the Clubs team to ensure we get the best possible content out of our clubs for the benefit of all.
- Liaising with the Creative and Commercial teams to make sure we are all utilising content ideas and opportunities.
- Liaising with our foreign teams in MENA and SEA to ensure they are in line with the global content plan.
- Must have attained the NCTJ Diploma in Journalism and have worked in the industry for at least 18 months. Prior experience in sport and alongside the areas in which it interacts, e.g. digital, media and entertainment, is preferable. Some experience of working with video is also preferable but not essential.
- An impeccable eye for detail and accuracy in writing. The successful candidate will regularly be required to write accurate, well-researched, clean copy to be published online. They will also need to sub other people’s work.
- A sharp journalistic mind and storytelling ability. As well as a talented and polished writer, Dugout needs its Assistant Editor to be a journalist full of great ideas. We need someone to help unlock the potential that resides in our clubs’ archives and consistently bring alive stories on clubs’/players’ past, present and future using both archive and original video, images and editorial. The successful candidate will also collaborate with the creative team so should be prepared to contribute original ideas for branded content.
- A wide knowledge of news and current affairs, including sport, media, technology, business and politics. The successful candidate needs to have their finger on the pulse and be able to react quickly and effectively in a 24-hour digital news environment without sacrificing quality. They must be passionate about engaging, high-quality content.
- Excellent project management skills. The successful candidate must be highly-organised and efficient with their time, especially given the company’s rapid rate of expansion and the immediacy of the digital media world.
- Able to work with gravitas and in person with club-side counterparts in a savvy manner, e.g. understanding the prior relationships club-side within Dugout, handling matters diplomatically and sensitively, knowing when not to push as much as when to push and demonstrating an understanding of the value of listening as much as talking.
- A confident and assured manner to be able to brief members of the Content teams around the world, as well as members of the Commercial, Social Media, Video and Clubs teams, in a clear, concise and comprehensive way.
- High energy and the ability to get things done. This is a role which requires simultaneous multi-plate-spinning and swift decision-making. It needs a character who can thrive in a deadline-driven environment under intense pressure from time to time.
- Must have the ability to work in the United Kingdom without any restrictions.
Please apply by completing the application form below, supplying your current compensation package with your application, i.e. base salary, any discretionary compensation and your benefits package together with your current notice period/availability.