The Sun, Digital World News Reporter - Online, Casual Shifts
Reports to: World News Editor
Purpose of role:
To build the audience of thesun.co.uk by producing outstanding, engaging stories.
- To produce first class international news content every day.
- Turn around copy and content quickly and accurately; mindful of IPSO and legal issues
- Identify news stories and subjects from outside the UK which will drive traffic and develop them
- Working as part of a team and able to contribute across a range of subjects
- Building contacts around the world to maintain a flow of news
- Having an instinct for how to 'sell' a digital story to get maximum impact on The Sun's platforms and also on social media
- Being able to write in a concise and entertaining way in keeping with Sun style but free from cliche
- Understanding how to recirculate readers within The Sun and keep them engaged with our content
- Being able to work as part of a team in a constantly adapting working environment that is always striving to find the new way of telling news stories
- Working with video desk and picture desk to maximum effect
- Interviewing people in a range of different circumstances
- Live online reporting or real-time blogging when covering breaking news
- Keeping line managers informed on changes that arise as stories develop
Key Skills and Experience:
- Exposure on a national or international newspapers, agency or senior experience on a daily local paper
- Excellent, fast-writing and subbing skills
- Passion for all things news, especially world news
- Keen attention to detail and meticulous fact checking
- Able to suggest new angles to news/features desks
- A wide knowledge of current affairs, trends and showbiz
- Flexible attitude to working hours across seven days
- Ability to act upon potential legal issues and act in accordance with IPSO's Code of Practice
- A willingness to embrace ongoing digital challenges such as social media
- Good head under pressure
Apply by completing the application form below.
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website.