Express Newspapers, Health Editor
Reporting to: Editor-in-Chief
Health Editor wanted to join the editorial team. The perfect candidate will be passionate about health and be up-to-date with the latest developments and discoveries within the field.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supply live ideas every day based on the morning’s news and exclusive leads from contacts.
- Commission features – with comprehensive briefs and provide high-quality, clean copy with the right tone for the health sections of the Express, to deadline every week.
- Personally write, rewrite and edit copy to a high standard and with the right tone for the sections every week to deadline. All copy should be accompanied by suggested headlines, a sell and subheads where appropriate – in keeping with the tone for each section.
- Write features and news pieces when required, to a high standard and to deadline. Write health breakout boxes to accompany features/news when requested.
- Provide a list of great ideas at weekly features meetings for the pages they are responsible for, across the Express.
- Commission relevant but interesting pictures with comprehensive briefs and liaise with the production and picture desk to deadline.
- Maintain a stable contacts list of good freelance writers.
- Keep up with the zeitgeist on health trends/fads, from contacts, publishers, PRs and worldwide media.
- Organise flat plans several weeks in advance and liaise with production regularly.
- Edit and file copy two weeks in advance as standard.
Required Key Skills (functional/technical):
- A skilled writer with a strong understanding of news reporting and story structure.
- The ability to work well under pressure.
- The ability to multi-task and prioritise effectively, with excellent diary management.
Required Qualifications / Experience:
- Previous experience in a fast-paced newsroom.
- Excellent contacts with specialists, key players, politicians, charities and think tanks.
- NCTJ Diploma or equivalent.
This job description is not exhaustive and merely acts as a guide to the duties to be performed. The job description may be amended to meet the changing requirements of the organisation at any time after discussion with the post-holder.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please email your CV and covering letter by completing the application form below.