Express Newspapers, Health Reporter
Reports to: Head of News
Purpose of the position:
To work closely with the Head of News - Express and produce breaking news coverage nationally and internationally for the Express.
- Bring in front page stories and, if requested, features in accordance with IPSO and legal requirements.
- Ensure the Express is at the heart of coverage by providing agenda-setting exclusive stories in line with the Express’s editorial stance.
- Develop sources to start campaigns and initiate investigations relevant to major issues.
- Liaise with senior executives at Express Online to ensure comprehensive digital coverage.
- Collaborate in the newsroom and to engage and support other departments.
- Work closely with the news desk and continue the close cooperation between the Express and Express online.
- Complete all tasks accurately within deadline and in line with budget requirements.
This role will involve close liaison with a number of individuals, including the News Editor and his deputies and assistants, and the Editor-in-Chief and Deputy Editor.
Required critical behaviours:
- High level of professionalism is required.
- Must be a team player.
- Sound judgement and initiative, with ability to make critical decisions in a high-pressured environment.
- Comprehensive understanding of domestic and international events.
- Excellent communicator, ensuring all relevant information is shared effectively, as the role will also involve liaising with other departments in the company.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
Required key skills (functional/technical):
- A skilled writer with a strong understanding of news reporting and story structure.
- The ability to work well under pressure.
- The ability to multi-task and prioritise effectively, with excellent diary management.
- Previous experience in a fast-paced newsroom.
- Excellent contacts with specialists, key players, politicians, charities and think tanks.
- NCTJ Diploma or equivalent.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please email your CV and covering letter by completing the application form below.