Maldives Independent, News Director
We are looking for a creative, self-starting and resilient person for a hostile media landscape: the Maldives ranks 120 out of 180 on the Reporters without Borders Press Freedom Index.
Please note that, unless there is a change in government policy towards foreign journalists, this position will not be in the Maldives.
Start date: From October 2018.
Salary plus accommodation covered.
Location: Asia, Exact location TBC.
- Minimum five years subbing experience on a daily news website/print publication.
- Experience of working with reporters who do not have English as a first language.
- Proven ability to turn around raw copy fast.
- Writing at speed when big stories break.
- Understanding of regional diplomacy dynamics.
- Native-level English fluency.
- Prior remote working an advantage.
- Assigning and commissioning news, features and sidebars.
- Identifying reporting opportunities.
- Spotting the best angle in a story and working with a reporter to sharpen it.
- Rewriting and improving copy.
- Publishing stories to the website.
- Working with the deputy editor and operations manager in editorial and administrative areas.
This is a tough job, not a time pass. Please contact us if you meet the profile requirements by sending a CV and a brief letter of motivation by completing the application form below.
There will be a written test as part of the recruitment process.