Scotchwhisky.com, Deputy Editor
Scotchwhisky.com is looking for an enthusiastic, confident and creative Deputy Editor to help cement its position as the world’s leading online whisky magazine.
From our modern head office at Park Royal in north-west London, you will work closely with the Editor to help continue Scotchwhisky.com’s rapid growth by crafting a dynamic and engaging schedule of content, for both the website and its social media channels.
You will be also responsible for writing news, features, reviews and comment, and will help coordinate a team of contributors and in-house writers.
An existing interest in whisky is essential, although you will be offered full training in whisky history, production and tasting if required. Some travel to Scotland and overseas to attend press trips and whisky festivals should also be expected.
This is a rare opportunity for an experienced journalist looking to make their mark on the thriving world of whisky.
- Overseeing the daily publishing of magazine content, including news, features, interviews and tastings
- Working with the editorial team to generate feature ideas
- Commissioning features
- Acting as the main sub-editor and picture researcher for all features, with assistance from the editorial team where required
- Regularly writing features and interviews
- Overseeing social media communications
- Assisting the Editor in the general day-to-day operation of the site
- Attending and reporting on events, including product launches, whisky festivals and press trips where necessary
- Sourcing and reporting news from around the Scotch whisky industry
- Conducting interviews with personalities from the whisky industry and popular culture
Key Skills & Experience
- Journalism qualification, at least NCTJ or degree level
- Has been a deputy, features or section editor on a print or digital title for at least 2 years
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An eye for detail and strong subbing skills
- Strong news writing ability
- Experience of digital publishing, multimedia communication and CMS platforms a distinct advantage
- Familiarity with Photoshop preferred
- Knowledge of best SEO practices
- Strong social media skills
- Ability to lead, organise and effectively manage a team of contributors
- Creative and brimming with content generation ideas
- An entertaining and engaging writing style
- Strong project and time management skills
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, with an ability to work calmly under pressure
- Demonstrate a pro-active, can-do attitude
- A good knowledge of whisky and the whisky industry is a distinct advantage
Apply by completing the application form below.
Scotchwhisky.com is the world’s leading online whisky magazine. Launched in October 2015, it is an unrivalled resource of information for all whisky enthusiasts from the novice through to the connoisseur. Scotchwhisky.com is part of the Speciality Drinks Group, a multiple award-winning family business with a passion for fine spirits and nearly 50 years of experience in the drinks trade.
Scotchwhisky.com covers all the latest news from the dynamic world of whisky, alongside tasting notes of all new releases, interviews with key whisky personalities, a comprehensive encyclopaedia of all Scotland’s whisky brands and distilleries, and details of global Scotch events and retailers. New sections on whisky investment, a beginner’s guide for newcomers, whisky production videos and a comprehensive bottle library are coming soon.
Speciality Drinks Group
Speciality Drinks is a fast-growing and world-renowned international spirits company. Our retail arm The Whisky Exchange operates an award-winning website along with a flagship shop in Covent Garden.
We also create, blend and bottle new products to sell around the world; we distribute and build brands; we wholesale to the finest bars, restaurants and hotels; we boast an industry-leading auction site; we have an online magazine devoted to Scotch whisky; we organise the world-renowned London Cocktail Week; and we are responsible for the UK's leading Whisky show. We pride ourselves on our imagination, creativity and ability to source and sell fantastic spirits from across the globe.
Being part of the Speciality Drinks Group means you’ll be working with some of the very best people in the drinks industry and be part of a fast-growing team that is passionate about everything we do. We’re a family-owned and managed business and look after everything in-house – from website development, design and marketing to technology, customer service and global distribution.
We’re looking for bright, motivated, creative people who share our passion for excellence, innovation and delivering great customer service. In return we can offer an exciting, fast-moving, varied environment with great opportunities for career progression.