Evening Standard, Digital Celebrity, Society & Party Journalist
Reports to: Digital Celebrity, Society & Party Editor
ESI Media is an innovative multichannel media business. Our brands include the Evening Standard, The Independent and London Live. We have offices based in the UK and US.
The Evening Standard is one of the leading publications in the UK with a heritage that spans nearly 200 years and a reputation for quality content. Its global digital readership continues to expand.
The ES Digital Features team:
The Evening Standard’s Digital Features team incorporates three key pillars: Lifestyle, GO London and Shopping with a soon to be launched pillar focusing on celebrity, VIP society and style content. Each section is committed to delivering the latest news, reviews and features on the newest trends and topical issues. We deliver quality cross-platform content for a global urban audience.
The dynamic, fast-growing team covers a wide spectrum of subjects from restaurants and bars to fashion, travel, tech and fitness. We also champion the arts and entertainment.
- A motivated individual with a passion for content that focuses on celebrities, royals and the VIP party scene.
- You will have worked in a fast paced editorial environment and be enthused by the challenge of working on a new project.
- You will be flexible about working hours.
The Evening Standard website (standard.co.uk) is looking for a talented journalist with an in-depth knowledge of celebrities, royals and VIPs.
The candidate will be tasked with writing about the international celebrity scene, covering parties, news stories and interviews. They will be expected to meet traffic and SEO targets, social media and audience growth. The journalist will work closely with the Digital Celebrity, Society & Party Editor as well as a New York based team to create a dynamic content plan.
Candidates will have experience working within a fast-paced digital team, with proven digital publishing skills and the ability to write, commission and edit compelling content– including video content. Working a flexible schedule, including late hours to cover shows and events, as well as providing weekend cover when necessary.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Contributing to a celebrity-driven content strategy plan for a new section, that focuses on major VIP and red carpet events around the world as well as trending/social content that will appeal to a US/UK/global audience
- Grow social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – with scope to start new accounts across different media.
- Working with freelancers and influencers to bring in extra content/traffic – commissioning and editing this content
- Assist with video content creation
- Meet traffic and commercial targets
- Responsive delivery – Work to specified traffic targets and commercial objectives
- Collaboration – ability to build and maintain positive and supporting working relationships with colleagues, helping to create an inclusive and professional work environment
- Initiative – effort to continuously update own knowledge and skill-set to support the achievement of business objectives
- Flexible – able to work in a smart, flexible and focussed way, and be open to change, while also suggesting ideas for improvements
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Keen and comprehensive interest in all areas associated with celebrity and VIP life
- At least 3 years’ experience in digital publishing
- Proven experience using data analytics
- A strong contacts books of PRs, writers and influencers
- Experience using affiliate marketing tools
- Experience in managing and commissioning freelancers
- Experience in contributing to and growing social media platforms, in particular Facebook and Instagram
- Good forward planning skills
- Strong understanding of SEO
- Record of pitching, researching and writing clean, compelling and accurate copy
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations by completing the application form below.
Closing date: 31 August 2018.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.