Commodity Markets Reporter, Argus Media - NY
Argus Media is a fast-growing global B2B media company providing essential information to the energy industry and other commodity related markets.
Argus benchmarks are used globally throughout the energy sector for formula pricing in contracts, as a taxation reference, in investment planning and for a variety of other purposes.
The ideal candidate is a financial journalist with extensive experience covering commodity markets.
This position provides real-time coverage of the related industry, including but not limited to making pricing assessments, writing market analysis and breaking news, and/or covering events such as press conferences and industry gatherings. The reporter also collaborates with colleagues on other teams and in other regions.
- Collect market prices and make assessments, adhering to rigorous compliance standards.
- Oversee methodology relevant to coverage, which includes timely communication of needed changes, additions or deletions.
- Write market commentaries, news, analysis and market outlooks; develop graphs and charts within Excel to illustrate trends and analysis; communicate this information in a timely manner to management and subscribers.
- Work with and interview subject matter experts; research industry trends.
- Contribute to presentations as directed by management.
- Develop and maintain rapport with key contacts, and liaise regularly with industry stakeholders (buyers, sellers, traders, brokers) to gain market intelligence.
- Develop new contacts within the market to aid with gathering prices and general market intelligence.
- Maintain existing databases and build new databases for designated products.
- Cover conferences and events (some travel required).
- Adhere to strict deadlines.
- Provide subject-matter expertise to other Argus departments.
- Work on special projects as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- The legal authorization to work in the US for any US employer
- A minimum of 4 years of prior experience with commodity markets preferred
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, economics, business, geography or relevant field
- Demonstrated goal-oriented collaboration skills, with strong diplomatic and problem solving ability
- Experience in a professional publishing capacity or in an analyst role
- A strong understanding of economics and the role and practice of price reporting
- A commitment to the highest level of accuracy and completing all writing within established deadlines
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office Suite with particular experience in Excel
- The willingness and ability to travel up to 20% of the time in order to fulfill the responsibilities of this position
- Spanish language skills preferred
Argus is a leading provider of price assessments, business intelligence and market data for the global crude oil, petroleum products, LPG, natural gas, coal, electricity, bioenergy, emissions, fertilizer, petrochemicals, metals and transportation industries. Data provided by Argus is widely used for indexation of physical trade.
The company publishes sophisticated market data and business intelligence internationally and has a strong reputation for accuracy, reliability and invaluable insight into the non-transparent energy markets. Companies, government and international agencies rely on Argus information for analysis and planning purposes.
Argus is headquartered in London and has offices in Moscow, Washington, Houston, Calgary, Singapore, Tokyo, Beijing, New York, Kiev, Rio de Janeiro, Sydney, Moscow, Astana, Riga and Dubai. In addition, they have employees in other key locations around the world. Argus was founded in 1970, has over 700 employees and is a privately held UK-registered company owned by its employees and the family of its founder.
- Competitive salary
- Group medical, dental and vision plans
- Company paid long term disability and life insurance plan
- Group 401(k) safe harbor retirement plan with a 4% company match
- 15 vacation days your first year, which increases up to 25 days
- Subsidized gym membership
- Extensive internal and external training
Click 'Apply' now.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled