Senior Opinion Video Producer, The Wall Street Journal - NY
4 days left
- Full Time
The Wall Street Journal is seeking a senior producer to lead the new vision and strategy for video from the Opinion section.
This person reports to and partners with the Opinion Digital Editor to help translate opinion content and concepts to video, and will work closely with the WSJ News Video team on execution of these projects
We're looking for a high-energy, collaborative team player who will pitch and shape segment ideas that reflect the perspectives of The Wall Street Journal editorial board and a broad set of opinion contributors.
You will take Opinion concepts and arguments, including those presented in editorials, columns, and op-eds, among others, and creatively conceptualize and produce them as high-quality, compelling videos for a highly engaged, intelligent audience.
We also expect in time that the Sr. Producer will develop new and innovative format and content ideas that will extend the brand's video offering and attract a new and broader audience.
As such, the ideal candidate will be eager to explore and experiment with new formats, video trends and voices, and will be comfortable reacting to viewer feedback and data to produce content that resonates with current and new audiences.
You will be a strong and collaborative communicator, and have an ability to see projects with multiple stakeholders and participants through to completion.
This role will be a key leader on a small team. As such, we're looking for a hands-on video professional who not only works to develop ideas and concepts and hone video strategy, but is capable of, and enthusiastic about, getting their hands dirty by leading production, executing on set and occasionally jumping in on edits.
What the job will entail:
- Identifying and helping create smart video commentary in line with the philosophy and values of the WSJ's Opinion section.
- Delivering intelligent perspectives and arguments in a conversational tone, working hand-in-hand with writers and editors to help translate traditional written-word journalism into engaging videos.
- Staying abreast of trending topics in the news, recognizing opportunities when our commentary would add value to them, and putting the wheels in motion to quickly and efficiently deliver a finished product to be published and shared across news and social platforms.
- Establishing and maintaining lines of communication with writers and editors around upcoming content (skeds), identifying stories that could be translated to or accompanied by video, and directing the work of others to complete these projects in a timely manner.
- Thinking creatively about how to use video to create original works of commentary, untethered to existing Opinion content types, planning out and proposing these ideas to the Digital Editor and Editor, Editorial Page, and seeing these new and original projects through to completion.
- Managing a producer/editor dedicated to quickly and capably producing high-quality videos in a variety of formats.
Strong candidates will have the following qualities and experience:
- Demonstrated track record of creating engaging opinion-focused content that goes beyond talking-head format, utilizing full range of graphics, animation and production techniques.
- Have worked with professional journalists in the past and have the ability and confidence to work closely with writers, editors and contributors to develop their on-camera presentation skills.
- Experience working with and coaching well-known talent, and can constructively critique their work.
- Thorough knowledge of current events, U.S. politics, geopolitics, economics, foreign policy, history. Up to date on periodicals, including the work of Opinion/Editorial sections, at multiple publications.
- Exceptional editorial skills: Ability to recognize stories with high potential and translating them into provocative, compelling television, without compromising or altering integrity or tone/voice.
- Audio/podcast production experience a plus.
- Familiarity with newsroom data tools and how to use data to drive editorial decision-making a plus.
- At least seven years' experience working for a credible, general-interest or political news organization.
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Political Science, History or related field, or equivalent professional experience.
- Thorough and conversational understanding of what works on different video platforms, including YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat
Click 'Apply' now.
Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets.
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events.
Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally.
It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.
Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).