Telegraph Media Group, Assistant Foreign Editors
The Telegraph has opportunities for two Assistant Foreign Editors (one permanent staff role, one fixed-term contract) to join the team.
In this role, you will commission, edit and publish the best stories from foreign correspondents and reporters, abroad and at home, for the Daily and Sunday Telegraph, both in print and online. The roles will involve running the foreign team when the Foreign Editor is out of the office, dependent on experience.
You’ll be working as part of a dynamic and international team in an exceptional time to be covering foreign news. You’ll have the space to develop your own areas of expertise in a team which is supportive of new initiatives. This role will also give you the opportunity to develop stories and skills across a variety of publishing platforms – from print, the website, apps and Snapchat.
- Generating ideas, commissioning, editing and publishing for The Telegraph both online and in print, working across a seven-day rota.
- Liaising with approximately 30 foreign correspondents and acting as their main point of contact during breaking news events.
- Working with desk editors from multiple departments (video, graphics, pictures) on breaking news and upcoming long term events.
- Engaging with a community of readers interested in international news via Twitter, Facebook and other platforms.
- Taking responsibility for the Foreign desk and briefing the Editor at news conferences when required, dependent on experience.
- Editing pages for the Daily and Sunday Telegraph.
- Helping to plan for major forthcoming events.
- Running liveblogs for major breaking news events.
- Opportunity to build up your own areas of specialism and develop projects.
Essential skills required for the role
- Proven track record of news editing in national or international newsroom.
- Strong news sense, with the ability to seek out exclusive and breaking stories.
- Experience of planning coverage of future news events and preparing diary items of news.
- Experience of working to tight daily deadlines.
- Strong ability to write and edit articles clearly, concisely and to house style.
- Have a good working understanding of social media channels to both spot and promote stories.
Additional skills useful for the role
- Familiarity with and experience of digital storytelling techniques.
- Proficiency in a second language.
- Willingness to travel.
Click 'Apply' now.