N by Norwegian, Deputy Editor
We are looking for a driven and talented deputy editor to work on multi-award-winning N by Norwegian magazine. N is one of the leading titles in travel media, and this is a rare opportunity to work as part of an ambitious and lively team on a prestigious magazine.
The ideal candidate will be a highly skilled journalist, with top-notch feature writing and editing skills – able to produce the kind of engaging, informative and exciting content the magazine is known for. They will need to have a good understanding of N’s style and tone, and an eye for a great story – as well as being an organisational whizz and a strategic content planner.
The candidate will be adept at working with people, both managing freelancers and as a flexible member of a busy team.
An interest in travel, culture and lifestyle is essential, as well as a creative approach to producing beautifully crafted content, and a clear understanding of what makes a successful magazine. In addition they will be willing and able to travel at short notice for features when needed and to go the extra mile in pursuit of the right story.
The deputy editor will report to and be managed by the magazine editor, but they should be a self-starter who’s capable of managing their own time and can easily step in when the editor’s away. They will have a positive, can-do attitude and a willingness to learn. They should have their finger on the pulse when it comes to finding great stories across the Norwegian flight network.
- Pitching and writing stories for each issue of the monthly magazine, including news, interviews and longer features
- Editing the magazine’s front section, ‘The Essentials’, including commissioning and managing the work of freelance writers for this section
- Working closely with the editor, art director and sub-editor to ensure the best possible results
- Helping to oversee the production process, making sure that the magazine hits all deadlines and is free from errors
- Deputising for the editor when necessary
- Contributing to N’s online presence (alongside the digital editor) where required
- Planning trips, including organising travel and accommodation, where required
- Working closely with the client to ensure that content is of a high quality and satisfies marketing objectives
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ experience as a deputy editor or section editor on a comparative media product
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Creative flair to produce engaging, original stories
- Experience of commissioning freelance writers and organising photography or videography shoots
- Knowledge of InDesign and other relevant publishing programmes, including CMS/other digital platforms
- Experience managing multiple stakeholders, and working constructively within a busy team
- A structured, scheduled approach to managing workload
- Ability to work under pressure and at a fast pace with constant attention to detail
We offer an opportunity to work on one of Ink’s most popular magazines, as well as with one of the world’s fastest growing airlines. The position is located at Ink’s head office in West Hampstead, London.
Please apply by completing the application form below, including a copy of your CV, links to any relevant articles or projects and a cover letter stating why you are the ideal candidate.