The Sun, Planning Editor - Online
Department: Audience Team, The Sun Online
Reports to: Head of Engagement
The Sun Online is the biggest mobile news brand in the UK - and still growing! - with a young, talented, diverse team who publish the best coverage of news, sport, TV and showbiz, lifestyle and family value.
Our hugely successful Audience team sits at the core of our publishing operation and is constantly evolving, driving traffic, growing new audiences, and building engagement and loyalty with our readers.
Purpose of role:
To ensure the editorial teams maximise impact and traffic around known events, whether it's the US elections, a big boxing match, Brexit day, a celebrity wedding or a big TV series.
The role involves working closely with department desk heads, production, video, graphics and audience using data and news judgement to plan what to prioritise and how to cover it, working to ensure the success of that coverage then reporting back results and lessons learned.
- Maintain a calendar of key upcoming events
- Create a content strategy and detailed plan for each one, with clear targets, actions and accountabilities.
- Commission videos, graphics, interactives and other innovative or multimedia assets for these events, and ensure they are used.
- Develop and design campaigns, cross-desk content projects and joint initiatives with other departments (marketing etc).
- Monitor coverage of planned events and report to newsroom leaders on the success of the coverage of these events (both while they are happening and afterwards)
- Create articles and other content in advance of known events
You may also be expected to:
- Coordinate the coverage of exclusives and big, breaking stories across the day.
- Support editorial desks by live blogging events.
- Ensure actions from conferences are carried out
- Occasionally work late shifts or overnight around specific events.
Key Skills and Experience:
- Editorially decisive - you can use judgement and analytics to prioritise events and plan how best to cover them.
- Collaborative - you can build relationships and work with several departments to come up with the best approaches.
- Authoritative - you can respond to news events with your own initiative and present compelling cases for how to cover planned events, based on data
- Organised - you can document plans in a way that others find useful and which make actions and accountabilities clear.
- Analytical - you can use different analytics packages to gather insight and generate lessons.
- Editorial experience in a large-scale or fast-paced digital publisher.
- A good understanding of what works for SEO and social
- A good understanding of how to extract insight from analytics
Click 'Apply' now.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website.
Apply for The Sun, Planning Editor - Online
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly