Social Video Journalist, The Wall Street Journal - NY
The Wall Street Journal is seeking a multi-talented video journalist for its New York-based original video team.
Video journalists are responsible for producing topical, news-focused, feature and enterprise videos, ranging from short social and vertical videos to five-minute explainers and narrative stories.
Top candidates for this position will have a professional background in video journalism, demonstrate exceptional shooting and editing skills, and have experience with graphics.
Please note, this is not an entry-level position and, although we often tell narrative stories, it is not a position producing documentaries.
Those in the role juggle many tasks and should be excited about developing, researching and reporting stories, shooting and editing videos - both in the studio and in the field, and working collaboratively with WSJ's reporters and editors across a variety of coverage areas.
Because this is a global news organization and our projects appear on multiple platforms, candidates need to show successful executions of innovative social and vertical video projects, timely news videos that have been done in just a few hours, as well as projects that afforded with longer lead times.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Partnering with video journalists, supervising and executive producers to produce visually distinctive videos of interest to the WSJ audience
- Researching and executing production of timely news coverage and topical analysis
- Shooting and editing videos in-studio and in the field
- Producing timely video pieces that bring complex topics, trends, issues and developments to live visually, using high-quality video, motion graphics, and animation
- Managing multiple projects in various stages of production
- Ensuring that all journalistic and legal standards are followed at all times
- Ability to work late hours and weekends both as part of a regular weekend rotation and as news developments may warrant
- Completing additional duties as assigned
Key candidate requirements:
- At least three years' experience producing videos in a daily news environment, preferably at a top-tier news organization
- Experience with current camera setups and adept with studio lighting and field shoots
- Professional-level understanding of Adobe Suite, proficient with Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Strong preference will be given to those who demonstrate a keen news sense and have developed innovative mobile-focused and social video projects
Deadline pressure is a constant in our newsroom, so an ability to react quickly and embrace the challenges that each day brings is essential.
Click 'Apply' now. All interested candidates should submit a cover letter clearly outlining how their skills and experience meet or exceed the key candidate requirements, along with links to five videos that represent the type of work described.
Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets.
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video.
Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 36 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism.
The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).