Full Fact, Media Officer
Full Fact, the UK's independent factchecking organisation, is looking for a creative, dynamic Media Officer to help raise our profile and build on our already strong relationship with the press.
Full Fact exists to tackle the harms caused by untrustworthy information in public life. We serve factchecks to millions of people online and millions more through the media.
We campaign successfully for specific changes like better government data or improvements to media corrections processes. We engage with government at senior levels on how to tackle misinformation. And we are developing world-leading automated factchecking technology to bring our work to internet scale.
This is an exciting time to join Full Fact. You will be joining a growing communications team and building on a strong foundation. We've worked with many major newsrooms, from providing regular columns and features to live factchecking election TV debates on screen. Our work is regularly quoted and featured on air, in print and online.
We do important work well, but we are not yet making our case effectively enough – and that's what we want to change in the next twelve months.
As Media Officer, you will help Full Fact make our case, win support for our work, halt the spread of misinformation and give the public the accurate information they deserve.
You will make us better known and more recognisable by taking a proactive, focused approach to securing more media coverage of Full Fact's work.
Your role will include:
- Working closely with the communications team to plan and deliver integrated communications work across press, social media, online and other channels.
- Working with the wider Full Fact team to identify media opportunities and maximise their impact.
- Acting as first point of contact for all media enquiries.
- Building and maintaining relationships with, regularly briefing and pitching stories to contacts across national, regional and other media.
- Coordinating interviews and background chats and briefing colleagues for media appearances.
- Monitoring breaking news and updating colleagues regularly on news of interest and coverage of Full Fact's work.
- Drafting and proofing press materials including press releases and briefing notes.
- Working with colleagues to develop a range of creative content for diverse channels and audiences.
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least two years experience in a press office or newsroom.
- Experience of building and maintaining strong working relationships with the media.
- Experience of writing clearly, concisely and persuasively for a wide variety of audiences and on a wide variety of issues.
- Thorough understanding of press deadlines, the workings of newsrooms and the needs of print, online and broadcast journalists.
- Experience of maintaining social media channels and feeding into social media strategies.
- Ability to communicate complex issues clearly, compellingly and persuasively orally, visually and in writing.
- Ability to think and work creatively.
- Ability to make sound judgement calls, often to tight deadlines.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and work independently, with a positive approach to problem-solving.
- Attention to detail and an accurate and careful approach to work.
- Ability to work collaboratively with people inside and outside Full Fact and to be a positive member of the team.
- A commitment to Full Fact's work and impartiality.
- Experience of using video and audio editing and graphic design software (desirable).
- Experience of briefing spokespeople for interviews (desirable).
- Experience of creating and delivering press plans and securing high-profile, on-message coverage (desirable).
We're looking for someone with long-term potential who can think beyond your own specialism and contribute to Full Fact's communications as a whole.
If you are interested in applying but not sure you have all the skills, please do apply. We are open both to supporting learning on the job and to rearranging tasks within the team to suit the skillsets of the best applicant.
Want to know more?
Read profiles of Full Fact in the Telegraph, FT, Guardian, and Wired, or read some of our case studies here, or read our post-election summary from 2017.
Please read about our standards and neutrality before applying here.
Click 'Apply' and send a CV and cover letter addressed to Will Moy to the email provided on our site by 10am on Wednesday 14 November.
We prefer to sift applications anonymously. Please use your initials rather than your name and leave identifying details such as email addresses off your CV and covering letter.