Country Living, Deputy Editor
The Lifestyle publishing division at Hearst Magazines UK is home to some of the world’s most iconic and successful magazine brands, namely Good Housekeeping, Country Living, ELLE Decoration, Prima, Red and House Beautiful.
We pride ourselves on giving our readers outstanding quality journalism, originality and unforgettable brand experiences all delivered with passion, creativity and expertise. We are now recruiting top talent in every aspect of the business. In our Lifestyle Division, Good Housekeeping and Country Living are considered our Flagship Brands.
The Deputy Editor (Country Living) executes the vision and content delivery of the magazine brand to the specifications laid down by the Editor-in-Chief. The goal is to provide the consumer with a highly engaging experience whilst maximising commercial opportunities.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Execute all editorial duties involved with publishing the magazine to the highest standards, meeting all deadlines
- Oversee and edit all copy, heads and sells to maintain a consistent level of excellence and ensure the voice of the brand remains upbeat, intelligent and knowledgeable across all subject matter
- Work with departments to filter content ideas and edit/rewrite copy across the main magazine and all supplements and brand extensions to maintain excellent standards
- Work closely with the features team to create the highest standards of writing, commissioning and editing
- Take responsibility for the legal requirements and accuracy of content appearing in the magazine. Proof read at relevant stages
- Commission experts and relevant writers, photographers and illustrators, as agreed with the Editor-in-Chief, through the most cost effective and relevant editorial workflow sources available. Write copy when appropriate
- Originate editorial ideas for the whole magazine and work with EIC to maintain balance of content to include all editorial pillars and keep the balance of serious v light hearted
- Collaborate with the Workflow Directors and Managing Editors to deliver an effective and efficient workflow and resource allocation within the portfolio budget
- Be responsible for content rights and negotiate for maximum usage within budget
- Support the EIC and Chief sub editor in keeping a close eye on the flat-plan and dummy, watching for editorial/advertising conflicts. Find solutions to these problems in conjunction with all stakeholders
- Support the EIC with liaising with all central departments on all issues that affect the print production and packaging of the magazine
- Read and monitor competitor magazines and other activities within the media to keep abreast of new ideas and trends.
- Develop and create, in consultation with the EIC, innovative and relevant supplements and spin-offs for the magazine
- With the EIC execute the rolling annual content plan. Share this with all stakeholders.
- Ensure all staff are trained on the tools available for content sharing and repurposing and that brand targets are hit
- As agreed with the EIC, create clear signposting to support audience migration between platforms and sister brands and collect customer data and insight from your audience that will drive improved engagement and commercial opportunities
- Together with the EIC and all stakeholders, create plans at the point of commissioning on how content will be repurposed across multiple formats and brands and hit repurposing targets
- Ensure direct reports staff have an up to date job description, clear KPIs, regular career reviews, and performance discussions and that these are documented and acted upon
- Direct, resource and motivate editorial staff to maximise their creative contribution and to ensure all copy dates and deadlines are met
- Create an exciting, proactive and helpful relationship with the commercial teams
- Support the commercial teams without losing the integrity of the brand
- Pass contacts with any industry budget influencers to the sales team for nurturing as a possible commercial partner
- Help identify and win landmark industry awards
- Communicate with the Advertising department, advising them of forthcoming editorial that could promote advertisement sales and ensuring that advertisements are not at variance with editorial policy
- A solid understanding of the brand and its target audience
- A highly proficient command of the English language
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Proven experience as senior editor on a national magazine or newspaper
- Proven experience of managing a team and dealing directly with senior heads of departments
- A knowledge of and passion for the countryside, farming and rural affairs
- A passion for magazines
- A team player, with good organisation and timekeeping skills and able to work quickly and multitask
- Ability to meet strict deadlines
- Calm under pressure
- Good with people: excellent communicator, polite, calm and approachable, with a friendly manner
Click 'Apply' now.