Independent News Website, Graphic Designer
We are an independent digital news platform based in London with a focus on stories relating to the Middle East and North Africa. Our content includes news, features, analysis, video and opinion ranging from politics and society to business and culture.
The presentation of our stories is of fundamental importance in how we keep our knowledgeable and upscale audience informed. We’re now looking to hire a talented graphic designer to work from our head office in London, acting as the lead and source of knowledge for visual content for our platforms.
The designer’s chief focus will be on providing high-quality infographics and graphics for our editorial teams across text, video and social media. They will also be expected to take on additional duties including in-house commercial work such as advertisements, company stationery etc.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Meet the creative design needs of our digital platforms
- Understand the aims and content of our editorial business
- Understand the needs of our audience and ensure that our visual content reflects their diversity
- Provide news infographics and related content of a strong and striking nature that complements our text, video and social output
- Be pro-active in pitching ideas and anticipating the content needs of the editorial teams
- To tell stories through visuals designed for digital platforms
- Develop a complementary visual house style
- Champion mobile design, with knowledge of responsive design; have the ability to cater for both mobile and web seamlessly
- Keep up-to-date with emerging industry trends, including digital and editorial; identify those which will best suit the needs of the business
- Be a source of best practice and learning in graphics and visuals for the rest of the team
- Any other related tasks as and when required by the organisation
KEY ATTRIBUTES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in a similar role
- A strong body of infographic work
- Ideally, a degree in graphic design, although other related qualifications are acceptable on merit
- Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, After Effects, InDesign, Premier, Dreamweaver and Lightroom
- Restless curiosity and in-depth knowledge about the field of design
- Exceptional creativity and innovation, with a strong eye for accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent time management and organisational skills, including the ability to consistently meet deadlines and communicate effectively with fellow team members and supervisors
- Resilience and flexibility, with the ability to go the extra mile and contribute to collective team output
- The ability to demonstrate resilience and flexibility with a willingness to learn new skills
- Ability and willingness to learn multimedia tools.
- A keen interest, knowledge and awareness of social media, the digital world and the video industry.
- An understanding of digital audiences and experience of UX and UI.
- Regional knowledge and cultural sensitivity due to the nature of the organisation’s principal business.
- Fluency in Arabic
- Experience in digital marketing
- Freehand illustration skills
- Journalistic experience and/or employed in a newsroom
- A knowledge and passion for MENA news, life and culture
This job description identifies the main requirements of the job. It is not an exhaustive list of duties but is intended to reflect the nature, range, and context of the work, which may change over time.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter about your suitability for the job by completing the application form below. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the next stage.
Apply for Independent News Website, Graphic Designer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly