The Cricketer, Junior Designer
The Cricketer is looking for a talented and hard-working Junior Designer to join its art department.
Reporting to the Art Director, the successful applicant needs to have solid publishing experience, ideally 1-2 years on a magazine or similar publication, and be comfortable balancing a workload that will cover the magazine itself with numerous supplements, digital and commercial projects.
In return you will have the opportunity to contribute towards, and steer the direction of, the world’s best cricket magazine.
As the role will encompass picture research and content creation, excellent knowledge of cricket is considered essential.
- Work under the direction of the Art Director and editorial team to design outstanding layouts
- Managing a busy workload, encompassing the magazine, supplements, digital artwork and commercial projects
- Responsibility for sending the magazine to press, including PDF creation & upload
- Picture research for all articles in the magazine
- Producing ideas for new features/content – and seeing those ideas through
- Artworking, including scanning, colour correction and image retouching
- Providing design support to other members of the team when required
Essential Skills and experience:
- 1-2 years’ publishing experience, on a magazine or similar publication
- Excellent graphic design and typography skills
- Experience in sending publications to press
- Good knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud, particularly InDesign and Photoshop
- Excellent attention to detail
- Well-organised, with a logical approach to planning your time
Extra skills (desirable but not essential):
- A passion for (and extensive knowledge of) cricket
- Experience using picture libraries
- Experience compiling statistics/producing infographics
- Video editing experience
- Web ad design; Adobe animate skills
- Good understanding of HTML and CSS and natural flair for data-driven journalism in the digital world
- Social media artwork experience
Please complete the application form below with your CV, covering letter and link to your online portfolio (or a PDF of work samples).
Deadline for applications: 12 January 2019.