Evening Standard, Digital Shopping Writer
Reports to: Shopping Editor
ESI Media is an innovative multichannel media business, with a cross-platform reach of 23.1m. Our brands include the London Evening Standard, The Independent and London Live. We have offices based in the UK and US.
The ES Digital Features team:
The Evening Standard’s Digital Features team incorporates three key pillars: Lifestyle, Going Out and Entertainment.
Each section is committed to delivering the latest news, reviews and features on the best trends and topical issues. We deliver quality cross-platform content for a global urban audience.
The dynamic, fast-growing team covers a wide spectrum of subjects from restaurants and bars to fashion, travel and fitness. We champion the arts as well as covering breaking celebrity and TV stories.
The Evening Standard website (standard.co.uk) is looking for a talented journalist with an in-depth knowledge of the Shopping and Lifestyle sector with a strong understanding of creating shoppable content.
Experience in working within a fast-paced target-driven digital team, with proven digital publishing skills and the ability to write, commission and edit compelling, revenue-driving content (including video content). An element of which may be sourcing products, to trial and review, from a wide range of merchants.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Writing content – including product review round-ups and buying guides in a Best listicle format – to tight deadlines including daily content creation/uploading.
- Working with a trusted network of freelance contributors, to include experts and influencers to create content to satisfy SEO, social and commercial targets.
- Producing and publishing to a high standard on a CMS.
- Refreshing and updating current content to build up and maintain SEO-driven traffic levels.
- Will publish across social media channels, including creating and managing a Pinterest account.
- Meet traffic and commercial targets.
- Sourcing freelancers.
- Calling in products for review when necessary and ensuring constant professionalism when liaising with PR.
- Responsive delivery – Work to specified traffic targets and commercial objectives.
- Collaboration – ability to build and maintain positive and supporting working relationships with colleagues, helping to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Initiative – effort to continuously update own knowledge and skill-set to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Flexible – able to work in a smart, flexible and focussed way, and be open to change, while also suggesting ideas for improvements.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Keen and comprehensive interest in all subjects that are part of standard.co.uk/shopping.
- Proven experience as a writer and experience in e-commerce.
- Strong organisation and communication skills at every level.
- Good forward planning skills and the ability to manage your schedule without supervision.
- Experience in contributing to and growing social media platforms, in particular Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram.
- Understanding of SEO.
- Record of pitching, researching and writing clean, compelling and accurate copy.
- A motivated individual with a passion for content with a shoppable element.
- You will be exceptionally well organised and a confident strategist.
- You will have worked in a fast paced editorial environment and be enthused by the challenge of working on a new project.
- You will have a creative and entrepreneurial spirit and with a desire to help grow a section.
- You will be flexible about working hours.
- You will have strong computer knowledge including experience using CMS related software.
- You will commission , manage and edit content from freelancers to a high degree.
Apply by completing the application form below.