Political News Platform, Editor
We are building a new news and campaigns platform that will challenge the rise of extremist and nationalist politics while defending democracy, diversity and rights. We will do this by combining news journalism with on-line campaigning.
This new platform will keep its audience engaged through a daily diet of political intrigue, clickable analysis and off-diary exclusives. Unlike other news sites, this project will also build an engaged, active community of supporters by linking the best traditions of campaigning journalism with cause-based actions on the part of readers such as petitions and write-in campaigns.
This new platform has been founded by people with deep experience of journalism, public policy and digital campaigns. We are now recruiting a team to launch and run the platform from early in 2019. We will have no party political affiliation and we seek team members who are comfortable working in a non-partisan context.
You will be a founding member of the team and this is a career-shaping opportunity for you to build a modern news brand from the ground up, including leadership of planning, branding, design and launch. You’ll need to be decisive, ambitious and happy to take risks. You’ll need to work hard and learn fast.
Bringing your significant journalistic experience to bear, you will work with our senior team to build an emotionally compelling, entertaining and highly shareable product that rapidly captivates the attention of the Westminster village, other newsrooms, and a growing audience in the country.
This will be a multi-channel brand that stands out in the quality and creativity of its delivery. The successful candidate will possess the vision to identify new editorial opportunities combined with the leadership and drive to see them through. This will be vital in meeting ambitious growth targets across revenue, traffic, social media and staffing.
As editor, you will be a highly visible ambassador for the platform, ‘taking a stand’ on issues across social media and broadcast discussion slots.
- Lead development of the new platform - in partnership with the board, other senior staff and external contractors - including branding, site design, editorial style guide and launch
- Managing and growing a small team of reporters, multimedia producers and online campaigners.
- Overseeing day-to-day editorial output across a central website and social channels, writing, commissioning and editing:
- Growth of publication from an initial 30 items per week, including breaking news, pithy analysis and explainers, diary-style nibs and original video
- Managing investigations and other off-diary stories, developing working relationships with national print titles to maximise the impact and reach of our most exclusive content
- Creatively outflanking our competitors in finding original and unique angles on the biggest political stories of the news cycle
- Working stories around third-party video and social media content
- Ensuring output conforms to social media and SEO best practice
- Working with campaign staff and external contractors to develop and launch attention-grabbing campaigns built on the foundation of our journalism
- Design and implementation of collaborative newsroom workflows that safeguard quality across the week with staff working shifts, out-of-hours and off-site
- Ownership of editorial forward-planning processes which successfully develop medium and long-term content ideas
- Development of high-quality sources across Westminster, the public sector, media and business
- Leading and mentoring a dynamic, inclusive team that challenges one another to be the very best
- Face-to-face contact with board members, investors, and other key stakeholders
- Some early morning, evening and weekend working will be required
- Substantial experience of writing for a journalistic outlet, preferably with a pedigree in news
- Excellent political and news sense, an instinct for audience appetites and a proven track record of writing punchy headlines and copy that gets shared widely on social media
- Confidence with media-rich content production, telling stories with compelling combinations of written copy alongside video and audio; a willingness to experiment with new platforms to reach new audiences
- Willingness to combine journalistic output with the imperative of launching online campaigns and building a network of active supporters
- Your eye for detail helps you maintain accuracy under pressure and to spot strong political stories in dry government announcements or the specialist press (e.g. health, housing, finance etc)
- A deep understanding of current affairs, political movements and media – with a passion for holding power to account
- Good knowledge of social platforms (Twitter, Facebook etc); a passion for internet culture and understanding of its dynamics with politics
- Excellent time-management skills: ability to multitask and prioritise; bringing forward long-term projects alongside the immediate demands of the current news cycle
- Knowledge of UK media and copyright law, a clear grasp of risk management and what constitutes responsible journalism
Desirable experience / other attributes:
- Line management and/or commissioning experience
- Involvement with strategic planning and project management.
- Experience in teams developing and launching new editorial products would be a particular strength
- Involvement with the production of off-diary content. Investigative tradecraft such as developing hard-to-access sources and exploitation of data sources (Companies House, FOI requests, electoral finance records etc)
- Broadcast experience; confidence in public speaking
- An existing network of contacts/sources across politics, the public sector, media and/or business
- Experience with non-traditional storytelling techniques and formats
- Basic working knowledge of SEO and social media optimisation; experience of using data analytics to inform decision making
Apply by completing the application form below.
Deadline: 10am, Monday 14 January