The Independent, Assistant News Editor
Reports to: News Editor
The Independent is looking for an Assistant News Editor to join its dynamic newsdesk. The successful candidate will be a team player with a deep understanding of all aspects of online journalism.
The job will entail homepage editing, commissioning content, attending news meetings, taking part in the planning process and project management. Part of the job will also be running the late desk between the hours of 5pm-2am, every third week, to ensure continuity of quality into the evening. As well as running the London news operation this position will also involve liaising with the US team and other staff across the world.
Applicants must also be capable of making late changes to The Independent Daily Edition app, and when necessary have the confidence to rip up the front page and start again.
Candidates with a strong background at a comparative title are encouraged to apply, equally applications from strong senior journalists looking to make the step to newsdesk are also welcome.
- At least two years of working on a comparative title
- Excellent news sense
- Proven track record for writing headlines and selecting images
- A strong understanding of what makes a great splash
- Understanding of all digital platforms and how to commission for each
- Experience on a busy, prominent newsdesk
- Commission, edit and prioritise news stories
- Lead the London news team in the evenings
- Edit the homepage
- Make late changes and big calls on the daily edition app
- Write engaging headlines for the homepage and daily edition app
- Communicate with the US team and production team in London
- Be clear, organised and communicative with the wider team
- Make sure all essential stories are covered in the most engaging way possible
- Be mindful of the ethos of the Independent and cover stories accordingly
Skills and experience
- A broad understanding of all sections – from news to features, obituaries to sport
- Experience editing homepages or section pages
- Clear communication style
- Team player
- A strong news industry professional
- Ability to inspire a team and develop team-members’ skills and careers in order to collectively achieve business goals
- Understanding of SEO. Social media, digital journalism
- Experience using a CMS
- Page layout/design skills
- Ability to manage a heavy workload and prioritise accordingly
- Have the confidence to make big decisions, but also know when to raise the flag with the senior editorial team
- Evidence of leading teams during major events
- Ability to use tools such as liveblogs and break stories quickly
- Know who to contact and in what in order in the event of breaking news
- The ability to remain calm in pressured situations
- Strong background as a journalist on a comparative title
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focussed way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter with salary expectation, and notice period by completing the application form below.