Pearson, UK Media Manager - Maternity Cover
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible.
From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe.
We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better.
By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Reports to: VP Global Media
Department: Global Media and Corporate Affairs
Summary of role
Working in Pearson's global corporate affairs team, the role of Media Manager UK is to provide Pearson’s UK business with expert media and stakeholder handling support and advice. This is a full time maternity cover role.
As the main press office contact for the UK business, this person will provide the strategy, discipline, content, tools and support to protect and enhance Pearson’s reputation in the media. A strong understanding and experience of managing the interplay with social media and wider stakeholder relations is also vital.
This role requires an individual with excellent organisational and project management skills, strong analytical and writing skills, good interpersonal skills with the experience and authority to advise senior leaders within the business on a regular basis and communicate with journalists from the national, regional and trade press. Proven knowledge of the UK education media landscape and current issues is a strong advantage.
Pearson’s business in the UK includes a wide range of assessment and educational tools related to the GCSE and A level exam board Pearson Edexcel, to the BTEC qualifications, apprenticeships and teaching tools such as Bug Club and Active Learn.
Due to the high profile nature of this part of the UK business, a key priority for this role is planning and managing Pearson’s media and external stakeholder relations activity through the GCSE and A level exam season (April to July) and the results release in August.
Primary responsibilities of the role are:
- Working with VPs for Global Media and Core Markets in the Global Corporate Affairs and Marketing team, develop, refine and implement a proactive media and social media engagement strategy for Pearson’s UK business - In the UK Pearson is organised into three core divisions: Schools (including the Qualifications business); BTEC & Apprenticeships; Higher Education).
- Work with key colleagues in the business to develop, oversee and implement the communications strategy around the GCSE and A level exam and results season
- Serve as the lead media contact for Pearson’s UK business, collaborating with the global and corporate media functions
- Draft communications materials as necessary - press releases, FAQ documents, pitches, statements, articles, blogs and speeches - and maintain a ‘toolkit’ of relevant research, FAQs, expert opinion, facts and figures to respond quickly to external enquiries. Source research, experts and opinions from across Pearson
- Organise stakeholder engagement and media interactions for senior leaders, working with others in corporate affairs and across Pearson
- Serve as a translator of technical information, effectively bridging the gap between highly technical information and non-technical audiences and channels
- Managing day to day relationship with communications teams of key external stakeholders, including the JCQ, DfE, Ofqual
- Work with Digital Media team on social media strategy and implementation, including day to day management of the UK business Twitter handle.
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
- Proven ability to design a media engagement strategy and deliver regular content on a wide range of topics, and project manage a schedule of communications
- Proven ability to support senior executives (briefings, speeches etc)
- Experience of handling high pressure issues management
- Experience in designing, delivering and commissioning media training
- Proven project management experience
- Proven ability to write persuasively and quickly for a range of audiences and mediums/channels, including developing media materials and public statements under deadline pressure
- Strong understanding and experience of evolving social media best practice
- Understanding of education issues, especially of the UK Education Media landscape
- Passion for communication and excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Proven ability to work well cross-functionally
- Superior interpersonal skills including experience of briefing and interacting with senior leaders
- Global perspective/experience
Click 'Apply' now.