3D Artist Magazine, Editor
Future's Creative and Design group creates international, market-leading titles based on graphic design, web design and digital art. These diverse titles deliver tuition, inspiration, product advice and unrivalled industry access, all delivered through award-winning print brands, a fast-growing design website, and numerous profitable events.
3D Artist magazine is packed with practical inspiration from the world's best studios and in-depth guides to help improve your skills. It's the essential read for the 3D community, with its focus on new techniques and industry insight giving readers the insider's guide to what's going on.
It also has a website 3dartistonline.com, and 3D Artist also partners with sister titles 3D World and ImagineFX on Vertex, an event for the CG community.
Job summary & purpose
The Editor of 3D Artist is responsible for delivering a best-in-class magazine every month that works for readers and advertisers, on time and to budget.
In addition to delivering inspiring and timely content, you'll be required to develop and improve existing content to keep the magazine fresh and exciting. You're also required to be a 'player manager' - generating ideas, writing content, visiting studios, and meeting readers at events.
With a keen eye for commercial opportunity, you'll also be responsible for working with the group's commercial leadership teams in identifying new revenue opportunities.
You will work closely with your team and other stakeholders to help the magazine brand to succeed - whether on the newsstand, through subscriptions, digitally, at events, and through brand extensions and licensing.
You might be a deputy, managing or production editor ready to take the step up to your first editorship, or you might already have had a title or two under your belt. Either way, you'll have attention to detail, good organisation skills, a calm approach and self-discipline.
Key role responsibilities
- Responsible for planning the editorial structure and content of each issue, and for approving the flatplan and production schedule
- Responsible for generating ideas for editorial in all sections of the title and commissioning material for the magazine
- Ensure the title (typically through production staff) runs smoothly and to time
- The editor has ultimate responsibility for passing copy, proofs and layouts for final publication, including responsibility for legal aspects (libel and copyright)
- Keeping track of payments and rights issues with regard to contributors and ensuring all budgets are adhered to
- Ensuring staff have job descriptions and are clear what their roles are
- Identify trends within the market and react to market conditions in a timely and appropriate way
- Responsible for developing contacts with advertisers and other key contacts within the industry
- Works with Art Editor to ensure design standards are met satisfy reader needs
- Able to find new contributors and manage/lead existing contributors
- To act as the magazine's figurehead/'public face' at relevant media events
- Overseeing the 3dartistonline.com website and social media feeds, deciding what needs to be uploaded and when.
- A key-player in the ongoing planning of speakers and content of the event Vertex.
Please note that this is an editorial role, not a design role.
Essential skills and experience
- A good understanding of the magazine's subject matter
- Excellent magazine craft
- Excellent managerial and time management skills
- Ability to think commercially
- A solid understanding of media law
- The ability to work to (and implement) tight deadlines, as well as managing freelancers and staff writers when necessary
Click 'Apply' now.