Crafts Council, Assistant Editor
The Crafts Council, a national charity dedicated to advancing craft in the UK and beyond, is looking for an Assistant Editor to join its editorial team, working across its prestigious magazine Crafts and its digital publishing platforms.
You will be joining at an exciting time. We have a new Editor in place and a new editorial vision that will elevate craft and explore its multi-disciplinary connections, showing how it can transform lives.
Reports to: Head of Editorial
Responsible for: Producing print and digital editorial content.
- To assist our Head of Editorial in creating and implementing a compelling and fully integrated digital and print content strategy for the organisation in collaboration with colleagues, driving subscriptions and audience growth online.
- Generate original editorial ideas and initiatives and write long and short form pieces for both the magazine and the website that communicate Crafts Council key messages and achieve our audience objectives.
- To act as the first point of contact for the editorial side of the magazine, answer enquiries, resolve problems and deal with requests from contributors, makers, photographers, picture agencies, subscribers and the general public.
- To research and request photographic material for all sections of the magazine and website, meeting editorial deadlines. To identify suitable sources and liaise with makers, photographers, libraries and archives over reproduction.
- Sole responsibility for developing an operating system for copyright clearance of all images to meet editorial deadlines in accordance with copyright laws and regulations, including acquiring licenses and photo credits.
- Following editorial commissioning decisions taken by the Head of Editorial, manage all contact with editorial contributors including preparation of commissioning forms/accompanying information, chasing copy from contributors to meet editorial deadlines and preparation of first copy submissions for the Editor.
- To assist with fact checking and proofreading at layout stage.
- To liaise with magazine designer over photography commissions to finalise dates, times and venues for photography, and prepare photographers commissioning forms (POs).
- To assume responsibility for overseeing editorial input into Crafts Magazine’s website, including news and features.
- To take full responsibility for Crafts magazine’s Twitter output liaising with Head of Editorial, Sales & Marketing Officer and Communications Department as appropriate. Develop ideas and content for all our social media platforms that drive growth.
- To oversee the administration of the editorial budget and invoicing process – checking details, allocating budget codes and recording on database before passing for approval. Deal with all external and internal invoice queries.
- To attend craft-related functions and events.
- Anything else required by line manager
- A passion for craft and design.
- Great communication and interpersonal skills.
- A voracious appetite for print and digital media.
- An experienced writer with a nose for a story and an understanding of how to imaginatively engage audiences through print and online content.
- Experience in both print and digital publishing is preferable.
- An understanding of how to use different social media platforms to discover and distribute stories.
- A knowledge of SEO best practices and digital analytics tools.
- Positive and proactive team player, with an ability to work collaboratively across a small and tight-knit organisation.
- A good knowledge of contemporary craft, art and design and list of relevant contacts is preferable.
How to apply
To be considered for the role please click 'Apply' now to submit a copy of your CV along with a Supporting Statement explaining what attracts you to work at the Crafts Council and provide evidence of how your skills and experience meet the requirements of the job.
Send your application by 20 January 2019.