Aceville Publications, Editor - Speciality Food
Responsible to: Group Editor
To oversee all editorial content and help drive the commercial success of Speciality Food magazine, its website and associated product. This is a managerial position.
Aceville Publications is looking for a self-motivated, enthusiastic and commercial editor to join our department of dynamic and successful B2B magazines.
Under the brief and direction of the group editor, the successful candidate will be responsible for Speciality Food, one of the UK’s leading magazines for the fine food retail trade.
He or she will already be an experienced journalist and writer who has already held a senior position on a title and must be able to demonstrate both a strong commercial awareness of B2B magazines and the ability to commission and write relevant, insightful, knowledgeable and entertaining copy to cement the magazine as an absolute must-read for deli owners and buyers.
An ability to spot opportunities and generate revenue-friendly ideas to support a motivated advertising team is important, as is the ability to unveil and report on breaking industry news and emerging trends.
Equipped with a personable, professional attitude and a desire to be active and visible in the fine food industry, the job also requires a person who is prepared to be a great ambassador for the title.
The successful candidate will need to be able to demonstrate they can be confident, approachable and professional when representing the brand at shows, events and meetings. A prior knowledge of the speciality food industry is desirable although not essential.
Job description duties and responsibilities:
- Working closely with the Group Editor, as well as the advertising, web and design teams, to oversee all editorial connected to the brand
- Managing the performance and development of the Deputy Editor, and conducting regular catch ups and appraisals
- Feature writing: researching and producing appropriate, interesting and informative articles; subbing and proofing; and sourcing images to ensure features are of an exceptionally high standard
- Briefing and commissioning industry experts and freelancers
- Ensuring that subject matter is presented in a concise, accurate, technically correct and clear manner, being mindful of presentation, style and consistency
- The sourcing and management of content to go live online and on newsletter for a monthly web update. Managing and developing content for other social media channels as required
- Proofreading and overseeing design amendments at the studio and signing off pages for print
- Planning editorial content for magazine development and leading monthly features meetings with the advertising team
- Representing the brand at commercial client meetings, as well as in cross-departmental meetings
- Generating ideas and content for supplements and campaigns throughout the year and ensuring this workload is managed alongside the magazine’s main schedules
- Ensuring spend for editorial remains within allocated budget and managing invoices for submission to accounts department
- Providing advertising department with contacts and leads to ensure all commercial opportunities are maximised and working with the advertising team to create revenue-friendly ideas
- Attending events and trade shows with overnight stays as necessary
- Managing and overseeing the editorial elements of the awards and help ensure their continued growth and success
- To support other titles either temporarily or permanently depending on the needs of the business and requirements of the role/title
- To comply with the Company’s Health & Safety and Company Handbook policies, procedures and requirements at all times
Skills & Attributes Required:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent leadership skills and ability to manage and delegate
- Interpersonal skills, self motivation and flexibility
- Creativity and digital editing skills and knowledge and experience of social media
- Ability to work under pressure
- Excellent organisation skills
- Excellent time management skills to ensure all deadlines are met
- Excellent IT skills
- Proof-reading skills
- Attention to detail
This is not an exhaustive list, and you will be expected to be flexible in your approach to carrying out your duties that may change from time to time to reflect changes in the Company’s circumstances.
Apply by completing the application form below.