Evening Standard, Audio Journalist / Producer - FTC
Reports to: Video Executive Producer
ESI Media is an innovative multichannel media business, with a cross-platform reach of 23.1m. Our brands include the London Evening Standard, The Independent and London Live, We have offices based in the UK and US.
The Video & Audio team
You will be joining a growing video team at an exciting time of expansion and development, with an ambition to create best-in-class video & audio content across multiple digital platforms for a 9 month ftc with a view to extend.
- Experienced broadcast journalist and audio producer
- Proven track record in delivering up-to-the-minute breaking news, sport and lifestyle stories for audio, as well as long-form audio content such as podcasts
- Technically proficient sound recordist and editor
- Organised manager of production workflows involving multiple simultaneous productions
- Understanding of digital publishing practices including use of metadata for SEO, etc.
- An early adopter with an innovative mindset and enthusiasm for experimenting with new products
- Ability to train and upskill other team members
- Flexible to work changing shift patterns including weekends where necessary
The Evening Standard requires an Audio Producer (FTC) to lead on a range of audio products, from Audio News bulletins to Podcasts and beyond.
Reporting to the Executive Producer for Video and Audio, this role will manage, oversee and produce content for new audio platforms and products.
You’ll be joining us as we launch an exciting new project in which we will be one of the first in the industry to experiment with a new global audio news delivery system.
This is a position which will require an innovative, entrepreneurial mindset, and enthusiasm to engage in an iterative development process. Part of the job will involve training and upskilling other team members in audio production, and liaising with senior editorial staff around the newsroom to deliver on the evolving audio strategy.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Produce short-form breaking news, comment and lifestyle audio content
- Record and edit audio content
- Voice audio news reads and links as required
- Train and mentor other team members in audio production techniques
- Manage production and delivery of multiple simultaneous audio projects
- Publish audio content to RSS feeds and distribution partners
- Manage and maintain distribution feeds
- Work with senior staff to develop content management and delivery systems based on iterative learning process
- Working with Data team, use analytics to inform production decisions
- Help to build our audio production capability, contributing to plans for technical development
Skills and experience:
- Proven track record of delivering breaking news and comment in audio
- Experienced sound recordist both in studio and on location
- Expert user of Adobe Audition
- Concise writer and editor of engaging audio scripts
- Experience voicing links and audio reads yourself
- Experience coaching other journalists to deliver strong audio reads, and upskilling producers in production and editing techniques
- Project management skills for delivering multiple simultaneous productions in fast-paced deadline-driven environment
- Track record of using data to inform editorial and production decisions
- Experience managing and maintaining audio feeds, including effective use of metadata and SEO tools
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focussed way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
To apply, please complete the application form below to send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations. Closing date is 8 February 2019.
Due to the high volume of applications, we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Apply for Evening Standard, Audio Journalist / Producer - FTC
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly