The Economist, Community Editor
The Economist is looking for a Community Editor to manage its social-media team, based in London.
The newspaper has had a social-media team for three years and has changed from solely distributing content to emphasising engagement as well.
It uses all major social-media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and LINE, using analytics to continually improve processes. Instagram and Snapchat are currently handled by separate departments.
This role involves heavy collaboration with not just those departments but all editorial teams including Films, Radio, Data, Photo Desk, Graphics, Research and also Marketing.
This is an opportunity to work with smart digitally-minded people fighting to keep the newspaper competitive in an ever-changing environment. Most of the team is based in London, with others in New York and Hong Kong.
This role requires someone who is:
- able to make outstanding editorial judgments
- up to date with social-media news and current affairs
- capable of thinking strategically about how to keep the newspaper competitive
- adept at interpreting analytics and changing course in response to data
- able to collaborate with commercial teams and other stakeholders
- experienced at running and motivating teams
This is a senior position requiring energy and experience. You may have your own ideas for how this 175-year-old newspaper should be using social media and we would love to hear them.
The Economist is a collaborative environment. You must be a team player willing to share your ideas to promote the newspaper’s journalism and protect its reputation.
To apply, please complete the application form below and send:
- A cover letter detailing how our social-media presence and audience engagement compare with those of our competitors, and how you would improve both
- A CV detailing relevant experience. It need not be at a newspaper but it must involve using social media effectively
The deadline for applications is midnight GMT (00:00), 20 January 2019.
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.