Oceanographic Magazine, Assistant Editor
An exciting opportunity for a talented Assistant Editor to work on Oceanographic Magazine, a ‘Launch of the Year’ nominee at the 2018 BSME Awards.
Now on its fourth edition, the high-end bi-monthly (six per year) magazine is looking to build on a successful launch and expand its team for a busy 2019.
The successful candidate will assist with editorial production across all platforms, including print, digital and social media. A fast learner with a desire to develop, the right candidate will be capable of progressing quickly into the role of Deputy Editor as the team continues to grow.
With the magazine's content focused on ocean conservation, exploration and adventure, the successful candidate will ideally have an interest in our blue planet - its many wonders as well the plights it faces.
MUST HAVE skills
- Excellent sub-editing skills, including fact-checking and proofreading.
- Ability to source article ideas for both commissioned pieces and articles produced in-house.
- Ability to write concise news stories and compelling long-form features.
- Highly organised with a professional and personable manner.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to liaise with high-profile clients, partners and charities, as well as the magazine’s regular contributors, freelancers and photographers.
- Ability to assist with editorial planning.
- Ability to think creatively regarding content output.
- Confidence to voice new ideas regarding reader engagement and brand growth.
- Ability to manage and meet deadlines.
- A passion for magazines.
- Previous experience working in an editorial department.
- NCTJ qualified (or equivalent).
- Working knowledge of Photoshop and InDesign.
- Prior involvement in the management of social media accounts and the creation of content for both social feeds and newsletters.
- You are ready to play an important role as part of a small and hard-working team.
- You are self-motivated, with an ability to push beyond your core responsibilities.
- You possess commercial nous as well as excellent editorial skills.
- Ideally, you have a passion for the ocean.
To apply, please send your CV by completing the application form below, along with a cover letter and three examples of published work.
About Oceanographic Magazine
Oceanographic is a high-end bi-monthly magazine with a focus on ocean conservation, exploration and adventure. Filled with captivating stories and beautiful photography about our species’ connectedness with the ocean, it is a magazine that transports readers into some of our world’s most enchanting and least-understood places.
It is a magazine that is both about and for the ocean. Oceanographic donates 20% of annual profits to select marine conservation charities, making it part of the fight for a healthier blue planet.
Apply for Oceanographic Magazine, Assistant Editor
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly