Solar Media, Junior Reporter
Solar Media is seeking a tenacious, self-starting journalist to join its editorial team as a junior reporter.
You’ll be covering the UK’s multi-billion pound power sector during a crucial period of its development as it looks for new ways to cut costs, reduce its carbon emissions and adopt technology fit for the 21st century.
We’ve been dominating coverage of the solar industry for a decade and have been expanding our quality output across the high-tech and increasingly complex business of generating, storing and delivering electricity.
Our new junior reporter will be predominantly working across three online news titles, namely:
- Current±. Our newest publication, Current± has quickly become the go-to source of news and insight as the energy sector transitions to a decarbonised, digitised and decentralised future. Current± counts the country’s largest utilities, suppliers, network operators and energy technology firms amongst its readership, with news covering networks, energy supply, technology, regulation and e-mobility.
- Solar Power Portal. Dedicated to the UK’s solar PV market, Solar Power Portal is the leading source of news and analysis for the UK solar supply chain, detailing the residential, C&I and utility-scale sectors of one of Europe’s leading PV markets.
- Energy Storage News. Shifting from centralised power stations to intelligent data driven renewables increasingly calls for energy storage to maximise the cost and carbon savings. ESN is an established title for this flourishing sector, a sector that will have a pivotal role in the energy transition.
The successful candidate will either be a graduate or in their first journalism job now. More importantly, they will have a proven interest in news and feature writing and the ability to deliver in-depth analysis and off-diary news stories.
Familiarity with writing on technical and/or policy-led topics would be desirable, however accuracy, clarity and a willingness to get to grips with complex topics are more important.
The role will include:
- Sourcing, researching and writing news stories, features, blogs and analysis articles for our online news sites, taking ownership of specific patches of our coverage;
- Subbing and proofing of other journalists’ work, maintaining our impeccable grammatical and factual reputation;
- Generating and maintaining relationships with industry representatives and officials;
- Pitching, researching and writing editorial content for our print portfolio;
- Managing regular deadlines according to requirements;
- Utilising our social media presence to broadcast news and updates to our readership;
- Representing the publications at industry events.
Solar Media has been providing news, analysis and insight to the solar industry for a decade in print, online and in person at our portfolio of global events.
Our work is hugely respected by the industry we serve. We’re big enough to make a difference and small enough to be nimble, agile and open to executing your best ideas.
You’ll be joining our editorial team in our Victoria office at 123 Buckingham Palace Road, new for January 2019.
You’ll develop your own beat and your own ideas with an emphasis on setting the news agenda for the industry. We all work across multiple titles as and when required and our newest team member will be expected to do the same.
Please complete the application form below to send your CV and a covering letter explaining why you’re the person for the job to Solar Media’s head of content, John Parnell. Please include details of two referees.
Apply for Solar Media, Junior Reporter
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly