KPMG, Corporate Communications Manager - Scotland | National Corporates (Edinburgh or Glasgow)
Service Line Information
Corporate Affairs is responsible for the voice, footprint and reputation of the firm.
The team have responsibility to create and deliver value for our clients and our people by using our deep experience and expertise across communications both internal and external, our public affairs voice with government and other public bodies and engage our people and our clients in our commitment to corporate responsibly.
KPMG is part of a global network of firms that offers Audit, Tax & Pensions, Consulting, Deal Advisory and Technology services. Through the talent of over 16,000 colleagues, we bring our creativity and insight to our clients’ most critical challenges.
With offices across the UK, we work with everyone from small start-ups and individuals to major multinationals, in virtually every industry imaginable. Our work is often complex, yet our vision is simple: to be the clear choice for our clients, for our people and for the communities we work in.
Please note: This role can be based in either Edinburgh or Glasgow
This is a key position with the KPMG Corporate Communications team.
The successful candidate will be the cross-discipline communications lead for Scotland, responsible for all public relations and internal communications activity, in line with the Chair’s priorities. Regular travel between the offices in Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and London will be an integral part of the role.
The postholder will also lead the PR strategy for the firm’s UK Oil and Gas practice, engaging with a range of stakeholders both within KPMG, client teams and the media to educate the public about our role.
This will involve managing the risk on high profile work we undertake for our clients, proactively engaging with senior journalists across the national press, as well as senior stakeholders in the various sub-sectors to communicate our role. It will also involve interacting with our own Public Affairs team.
The successful candidate will have solid experience of media relations; internal and change communication and driving employee engagement and brand advocacy. They will combine the ability to give sound strategic communication advice to internal clients with the knowledge and enthusiasm for delivering the tactics.
- Lead the internal and external communications strategy for Scotland, working closely with the Regional Chair and the office senior partners in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen to communicate their business strategy and engage staff, as well as the sales and marketing team to drive sales across the region.
- Handle all media activity for Scotland, supporting KPMG's functions, markets and priority sectors across the region as required.
- Work with key partners/directors to raise their profile on commercial issues and develop new spokespeople through print, online and broadcast media.
- Work closely with our Scottish Deal Advisory and Restructuring teams to manage media profile around client case work, including corporate insolvencies.
- Ensure all proactive PR activity is supplemented by social media content for senior spokespeople where appropriate.
- Develop internal communication, change and employee engagement strategies and plans in line with the firm’s strategic priorities for markets, functions, projects or business areas.
- Be accountable for the successful implementation and roll-out of internal and external communication plans, including messaging, branding, drafting and designing communications, identifying audiences, channel management and measurement.
- Support the planning and execution of leadership events and communication that increase leaders’ engagement and improve two-way interaction between leaders, managers and staff.
- Work closely with colleagues in London-based PR and IC teams to ensure alignment of corporate messages and activity, with regular travel to head office in Canary Wharf, London – as well as travel between Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen - a must.
- Collate, share and act upon feedback from staff and specific internal communication measurement to inform and improve future activity.
- Proactively participate in and develop the KPMG communications network to co-ordinate activity and share best practice.
- Educate stakeholders about the value of good practice internal communication and media relations, acting as an ambassador for Corporate Communications.
- While this role does not have a public affairs element to it, the postholder will be expected to work closely with the wider Corporate Affairs team
- Lead the PR for KPMG’s UK Oil and Gas sector, developing a proactive PR strategy aligned to the firm’s commercial objectives and managing risk and engaging with the public on high profile client work.
- Communicate confidently with a range of senior stakeholders within the firm, client PR teams and c-suite contacts, to senior journalists in the press. Work closely with our external affairs team to achieve a positive outcome.
- Demonstrate sound news judgment and media handling, excellent contacts and the ability to take the initiative on a wide variety of issues and topics.
- The postholder must also live, and be an advocate of, the KPMG values.
Qualifications and Skills
The manager will need to develop good internal networks and relationships within the firm, have the insights and inter-personal skills to understand KPMG's strategic business objectives in Scotland and in the industry they support - and the ability to communicate them to various audiences and outlets.
The position offers a unique chance to work closely with some of KPMG's senior business leaders, and build pro-active programmes which can lead the overall contact and communications needs for KPMG in these sectors and regions.
If the chance to work with interesting clients and innovative technology wasn’t rewarding enough, we’ll motivate you in other ways too. At KPMG you can expect real responsibilities and opportunities to grow professionally.
‘Our Deal’ sets out all the different ways you’ll be rewarded at KPMG. Among other things you can benefit from honest conversations about your career as well as a range of other rewards. In all these ways and more, we have created an environment that can bring out the best in you.
While some of our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, we are supportive where possible of helping you to achieve a balance between your home and work demands.
We are happy to discuss individual requirements and our range of flexible working arrangements could be of interest. Furthermore, as part of the recruitment process, we can put you in touch with people who work flexibly so you can understand from them what our culture is like.
Applying with a Disability
KPMG are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and we seek to attract and retain the best people from the widest possible talent pool.
As a member of the Business Disability Forum we're committed to ensuring that you are treated fairly throughout our Recruitment Process. Should you be successful after the initial application stage, please discuss any reasonable adjustments that you may require, with your recruitment contact.
KPMG's commitment to diversity
We are proud of the value we place on individuality; we want you to bring your full self to work and truly maximise your potential. We believe that your individuality helps us to deliver the best results for our clients. Diversity of background, diversity of experience, diversity of perspective - that's the KPMG difference. But, don't take our word for it, find out more about diversity at KPMG.
Returning to work after a break
At KPMG, we appreciate that returning to work after an extended career break can be daunting.
We understand that those with experience who have taken a career break have a wealth of experience and knowledge to offer our organisation, which helps us to achieve our business goals. We will support you to refresh your skills, develop your confidence and provide a supportive network across the firm to help you best integrate into the working environment.
This role welcomes applications for individuals who have been out of work for 18 months or more and who have previous relevant experience.
Policy for Agencies
KPMG has a commitment to sourcing candidates directly and as such we do not accept speculative CV’s from agencies. Please check here to see our policy on agencies.
Click 'Apply' now.