Daily Star, Features Writer
The Daily Star is Britain’s most fun tabloid newspaper.
We are looking for an ambitious, creative and enthusiastic Features Writer to produce outstanding feature stories across a seven-day operation in an exciting and fast-paced national newsroom environment.
Applicants should be confident conducting interviews with high-profile celebrities, writing compelling news-reactive features and real-life stories in our house style.
The successful candidate will have experience sourcing and writing feature stories at a national level as well as commissioning and editing copy.
This is a job for a hard-working, creative person who has excellent feature writing skills and able to turn around ideas to a tight deadline.
They will be in tune with the national and international news agenda and able to translate this into engaging and reactive feature stories for print. Our writers are expected to be as accomplished working individually as they are as part of a close-knit team.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Deliver feature pages that inform, entertain and inspire the Daily Star readership
- Pitch daily ideas for editorial conference
- Work closely with relevant PR contacts to drive exclusive story ideas that work for a national tabloid audience
- Forward-plan ideas and special projects
- Work closely with Reach-wide network of writers and editors to spot opportunities to share content
- Stand in for the Features Editor when necessary
Key skills and experience:
- A ‘can do’ attitude
- Experience in feature writing for a national publication
- Provide a constant stream of news-reactive ideas
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong reporting skills, able to turn around copy to a tight daily deadline
- Multitasker, able to juggle current and forward feature planning
- Good PR contacts and reputation
- Knowledge of media law
- Team player, open and honest, with sound judgment
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position please email your CV by completing the application form below.