Key Publishing, Group Editor - Aviation & History
Having published magazines and media for over 40 years, Key Publishing is firmly established as the world’s leading publisher of transport and specialist leisure titles.
We have an extensive portfolio of consumer and business-to-business print and digital magazines operating in the sectors of aviation, flight simulation, road transport, rail, history, sport and both railway and scale modelling.
Currently we publish over 20 magazines, numerous apps, websites and industry databases. We also produce a wide range of bookazines, one-shots, books and directories in all formats, plus industry databases and free and paid-for content websites. Furthermore, we franchise and licence our content internationally and offer specialist, Contract Publishing services.
Key Publishing is looking for a Group Editor for its Aviation and History portfolio.
Reporting to the Group CEO, the Group Editor will co-ordinate all editorial activities relating to this group of titles, including budgetary and line management responsibility for the relevant editorial staff.
This position will also involve helping to drive forward the company’s growth strategy by being heavily involved in creating and implementing new product ideas for both print and digital platforms.
- To manage and motivate the aviation and history editorial teams.
- To review the editorial content of the aviation and history portfolio and provide recommendations on how the products can be improved.
- To editorially support all products as the needs of the business dictate which may involve the writing of material.
- Assessment and improvement of editorial cost centres.
- Instigating ideas for other related products in all formats such as one-shots, bookazines, publications produced under contract or license, websites, digital products, shows and events etc.
- Ongoing review of capability and performance of the aviation and history editorial team members and making recommendations accordingly.
- Monitoring and reviewing editorial procedures to improve copy flow and productivity and making recommendations for change.
- Working with other departments to enhance the commercial success of the aviation and history portfolio across all formats.
- Sourcing, selection and appointment of editorial staff members and any other editorial resource.
- To represent Key Publishing in terms of aviation and history editorial matters both internally and externally.
- Keeping up to date with developments in publishing/multimedia in the sector
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- 5+ years’ experience in publishing, ideally within a specialist leisure environment.
- Commercial understanding and focus in order to contribute to the growth of profits
- Demonstrable line management experience.
- Demonstrable record of successfully advancing products.
- Creative flair, drive, and determination
- Demonstrable understanding of the value of the editorial process to product success.
- Track record of meeting targets and deadlines.
- Solid knowledge of emerging trends.
- Track record of working alongside sales and marketing teams to deliver the best products.
- Ability to manage budgets and prioritise resources.
- Strong time-management and prioritisation skills.
- Good interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
Quoting reference 'GAHGOR', please send a CV and a brief summary of why you would be the best person for the job to:
Samantha Scholes, Head of HR,
PO Box 100,
or by completing the application form below.
Closing date for applications: Monday, 18 February 2019.
Key Publishing Ltd is an Equal Opportunities Employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Applicants will be invited for interview based on merit.