Inside Soap, Sub-Editor
Top-selling weekly Inside Soap has been Britain’s soap bible for over 25 years – made by soap fans for soap fans. Readers of Inside Soap love their soaps – and expect a high standard of accuracy and understanding in our features, alongside a rich seam of irreverent humour.
The busy, dedicated team meet a weekly print deadline, as well as producing web and social media content.
To sub copy to a high standard and make sure all articles are accurate and presented in the Inside Soap house style and voice. To write captions and supplementary content as required.
- Sub copy to a consistently high standard, editing copy to fit, and providing captions, heads, sells and pull quotes in keeping with the style of Inside Soap.
- Be a meticulous checker of facts and details, and to be relentless in the pursuit of obtaining accurate information.
- Rewrite copy where necessary, improving the flow, questioning what is missing or seems incorrect, and filling in the ‘gaps’ to improve clarity for the reader.
- Look at pictures when subbing text and make sure they work together, and that pictures are correctly credited.
- Work closely with all departments, including editorial, advertising and marketing to ensure that the work flows smoothly and to deadline.
- Handle advertorials, subscription pages and newsletters through the production process, from conception to completion.
- Fully understand the schedules, deadlines and production processes such that you can deputise in the absence of the Chief Sub / Deputy Chief Sub.
- Take a keen interest in taking on responsibility and assist the Chief Sub / Deputy Chief Sub at busy times.
- Keep up to date with the storylines and characters of all the soaps featured in Inside Soap.
The Key Performance Indicators against which you will be measured will be set by your line manager.
- Demonstrable experience working as a Sub-Editor
- First-class command of the English language
- Proficient user of InDesign
- Regular, established soap viewer
- Meticulous and organised
- Excellent team player yet able to work independently
- Pro-active personality
- Good interpersonal/interdepartmental skills
- Ability to manage stressful situations to a positive outcome
- To be aware of deadlines
- Able act on own initiative
Click 'Apply' and please submit a CV and covering letter.