Shephard Media, Defence Reporter - Sea Desk
Reporting to: Editor-in-Chief
For more than 35 years, Shephard Media has been providing high-quality business intelligence to the aerospace and defence markets, through a combination of magazines, handbooks, and online news and subscription services.
Particularly well known within the rotorcraft, unmanned vehicles, C4ISR, military logistics and land warfare markets, Shephard Media has expanded into new sectors, providing new offerings to ensure that we best serve our global markets as a leading supplier of business intelligence.
We are now looking for a defence reporter to work on our sea desk, focusing on global naval matters and assisting the sea editor in putting together Shephard’s maritime publication, Naval Warfare International.
The successful candidate will be expected to produce news, features, interviews and analysis pieces for the magazines and online; cover relevant trade shows and events; and help produce video content.
The ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines is essential, as is the confidence to interview senior industry and government figures with minimal direction. A strong social media profile is also an advantage.
- Writing for hardcopy and online, working with the editors to ensure online news content is as strong as possible.
- Helping the desk editor with the production of the magazine – finding images, writing captions and editing contributor articles, ensuring copy is accurate, libel-free, and conforms to house style, set lengths and formats.
- Developing a network of contacts and knowledge of the aerospace and defence sectors.
- Helping to develop our digital offerings, including video interviews, podcasts and our social media channels.
- The creation of an individual Shephard Media social media presence to engage with the readership and promote our digital products.
- Development of video production skills, both behind and in-front of the camera.
- Representing Shephard Media at various press events and exhibitions as required.
- University degree and/or relevant journalism training preferred but not essential.
- Experience in reporting/editing in a B2B newsfeed or magazine environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work to daily and weekly deadlines, filing copy on time for both the website and magazine.
- Experience writing B2B news stories and features, and a demonstrated ability to interview senior industry executives.
- Ability to travel overseas to cover key trade shows and events.
- Knowledge of the naval/defence sector is an advantage but not essential.
Apply by completing the application form below.