The Telegraph, Investment Editor
The Telegraph’s personal finance team is central to our subscription strategy, and is hugely popular among our most engaged, paying digital readers.
The Investment Editor will be responsible for overseeing the desk’s market-leading investment content, reporting to the editor and head of desk, writing, editing and commissioning engaging personal finance content with an investment focus for multiple channels, primarily digital and print.
- Delivery of a stream of investment ideas content, both news and evergreen, via writing, editing and commissioning that aim to help our well-informed readership make their own investment decisions. Need to be able to turn complex investment jargon into plain English.
- Leading the specialist investment reporters and other reporters, with the guidance of the editor and head of desk, in the production of investment content that serves Telegraph readers and sets the bar for the industry
- Editing investment content for print and online
- Writing in a range of formats including news, analysis, expert advice, guides, explainers and case studies (such as money makeovers)
- Developing original and compelling ideas and creative ways to present them – which could include graphics, calculators, video, polls etc
- Monitoring reader correspondence – and use this as a prompt for idea generation
- Monitoring analytics, SEO and social channels, again to help inform ideas and successful formats
- Spotting stories or digital projects from raw numbers
- Working collaboratively with colleagues on other desks where appropriate
- Edit other personal finance stories as necessary
- Generate original ideas, including by using stock screening and fund analysis tools.
- Manage long-term projects such as our Telegraph 25 list of favourite funds, and cover the Questor share tipping column where required
- Work on the investment newsletter as necessary
Essential skills required for the role
- Extensive experience producing, editing and commissioning investment content
- Confidence and creativity with headlines, standfirst, pictures, graphics, polls etc
- Excellent, accurate writing across a range of formats
- Experience of writing and developing stories for digital and print
- An ability to explain and convey complex subjects clearly and comprehensively
- An ability to find new ways to cover the same topics or issues
- A sound network of contacts within investing, and the wider spectrum of personal finance topics including mortgages, tax, pensions, banking and insurance
- Knowledge of relevant data sources
- Enthusiasm, energy and ability to be part of our happy and successful team
- An ability to show initiative and work well under pressure
Additional skills useful for the role
- Experience managing a small team of reporters
- Experience using InCopy and/or InDesign
Click 'Apply' now.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.