The Sun, SEO Editor - Online
News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world.
Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Unruly, a global ad tech company, and Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
The Sun Online is the biggest mobile news brand in the UK - and still growing! - with a talented, diverse team who publish the best coverage of news, sport, TV and showbiz, lifestyle and family value.
Our hugely successful SEO team sits at the core of our publishing operation and is constantly evolving, driving search traffic, growing new audiences, and building engagement and loyalty with our readers.
Our SEO editors work on a rota so regular evening (usually one week a month) and weekend (usually once a month) work is essential to this exciting, rewarding role.
Day to day you will:
- Act as a daily go-to person for journalists and reporters seeking advice or improvements to articles
- Report each morning on the top SEO keywords and top pages/articles driving traffic
- Make recommendations to journalists through the day around trending search terms and relevant keywords.
- Pre-plan for future articles and events by building out topics and doing keyword research for upcoming exclusives or events e.g. Olympics
- Monitor trending data for newsroom suggestions and pass to editorial desks
- Optimise top pages for relevant keywords
- Forward link top traffic driving pages to other more recent articles to encourage circulation
- Monitor daily output and ensure relevant cross linking in articles e.g. ensure 2 other articles links in copy, relevant anchor text and links to topic pages. Either by editing themselves or by working with the relevant desk
- Ensure articles and pages are correctly tagged
- Build out topic pages and tag existing articles
- Edit or ensure that picture captions are suitably written and include crawlable/indexable data e.g. Taylor and Tom take to the skies in private jet vs The couple boarded her private jet
- Edit and/or complete metadata on topics and articles
What we're looking for from you:
- Editorial background ideally with experience in a digital publishing environment
- Good understanding of the principles of editorial SEO
- Familiar with some SEO tools EG Google Trends
Apply by completing the application form below.
The Company is an equal opportunities employer and wholeheartedly supports the principle of equal opportunities for all its employees and for all applicants for employment. It opposes all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We are a diverse and team so want to maximise every individual's potential to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised and utilised.
This means affording equal access to any employment opportunities within the Company according to your ability, without prejudice or discrimination by reason of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital status, disability or age.
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website.