Hillingdon Council, Publications Editor
Hillingdon Council: Putting our residents first.
About the job:
This is an exciting opportunity to work for London’s second largest borough as a Publications Editor.
Reporting into the Head of Communications, you will be a key player in the Corporate Communications team and be responsible for the production of the council’s printed and digital publications.
These include our flagship bi-monthly residents’ magazine Hillingdon People, a range of marketing brochures, the Hillingdon People Local ward pamphlets and various internal newsletters.
You will ensure the delivery of high quality, engaging and cost-effective publications that are representative of the council and its brand, and inform residents about the work the council does and the services it provides.
A nose for a good story is essential and you will have frequent contact with officers from services across the council, elected members and partners.
Whether your background is in the private or public sector, this role is your opportunity to join a large local authority during an interesting and challenging time.
About the person:
You will have significant experience as a journalist or PR professional, with well-developed interviewing, writing and editing skills.
The ability to draft quality, engaging and newsworthy copy on a range of subjects appropriate to relevant audiences, and edit copy from other authors, is a must.
You will be experienced in creating production schedules, meeting deadlines and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
An understanding of print and distribution processes and digital communications is necessary, as well as a sound knowledge of and an eye for design.
Line management experience is desirable, as you will have supervisory responsibility for the work of the Assistant Publications Editor and an apprentice.
Developing and maintaining strong working relationships with services across the council and partners is also essential.
For an informal discussion or further information about this role, please contact Emma Gilbertson on 01895 250828.
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- Local government average salary pension scheme.
- Free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre.
- A 36-hour week for all full-time staff.
- Generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 23 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days.
- Career breaks.
- Flexible working hours.
- Season ticket loan.
- Access to a Credit Union.
- On-site staff restaurant at Civic Centre.
- Access to a wide range of training and courses.
- Discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council.
- Payment of professional fees where these are required.
- Discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes).
- Cycle purchase scheme.
- Car sharing scheme.
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses.
Click 'Apply' now.
Closing date: 24 February 2019.