Time Out, Senior Designer
Reporting to: Head of Design, EMEA
Internal: Global Design Team
The Senior Designer will be responsible for assisting the Head of Design with the visual design and direction for all collateral for Time.
The position will involve producing collateral for both digital and print, including all digital platforms, direct marketing materials, all UK magazine titles, as well as commercial and e-commerce collateral and projects.
They will be supervised by the Head of Content and will regularly collaborate with key staff of business departments, including Content, Events, Creative Solutions, Marketing, E-Commerce and more.
- Generate lively, inspired visual solutions for digital and print design within Time Out brand guidelines.
- Assist the Head of Design (HOD) with the the design of collateral across all Time Out departments (Content, Marketing, Commercial, PR, Creative Solutions, and more).
- Embrace Time Out’s digital-first, mobile-first philosophy. A strong background in digital design is required.
- Assisting the HOD with design and production of the Time Out London magazine, as well as any additional UK titles. This includes page layout, developing concepts for both features and covers (and executing them), retouching images, proofing pages, illustration, and pre-press.
- Working closely with other designers, photographers, picture editors, writers, managing workloads, ensuring all work produced is up to the highest standards.
- Meet aggressive deadlines and ensuring all work completed is under budget.
- Work closely with the HOD, and other key company stakeholders, to ensure that all artwork produced is up to the highest standards and is consistent with the company’s direction globally.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in design, with a focus on publishing, media, and magazines.
- A thorough understanding of fundamental design principles, with a firm knowledge of photography, typography, illustration, and printing.
- Excellent time management skills, able to work under pressure to tight deadlines on multiple projects simultaneously
- Knowledge of design history, trends, and a current understanding of how the industry is regularly changing.
- A clear understanding of the financial and functional dynamics of a global media business.
- Ability to work in and contribute to a fun and dynamic team-based environment.
- Must be educated to degree level or equivalent industry qualification.
- Expert proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, AfterEffects, etc.) is required. Expertise in G Suite, K4, and working on Macs is a bonus.
- Advanced digital design skills, with experience in newsletters, websites, responsive design, social media, marketing, e-commerce and video.
- Experience in print design (magazines in particular), developing concepts for covers and features, and executing to the highest standards. Must be willing to negotiate, present ideas in meetings, and be flexible to adjust ideas based on feedback, and willing to take on criticism accordingly.
- Fluent English is essential. Fluency in French, Spanish or Portuguese is desirable.
What we look for in a candidate
Time Out is a company filled with individuals as diverse as the cities we live in and cover. At the same time there are common characteristics and values we all share.
To join our team, you’ll want to…
- Be commercially astute
- Either have experience at or want to dive headfirst into a fast-paced digital-first company
- Think globally
- Have excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Have a high sense of ownership, urgency and drive
- Be a team player
At Time Out Group we believe in diversity and equal opportunity for all people.
We do not discriminate against external or internal candidates on the basis of age; disability; gender reassignment; race; religion or belief; sex; sexual orientation; marriage and civil partnership; and pregnancy and maternity.
We believe that diversity develops creativity and enables personal and professional growth where we all learn from each other. We believe in an open culture where ideas are shared candidly and where there is no fear of failure, but rather an understanding that we must experiment and have the freedom to succeed.
We believe that everyone has the right to express themselves as they are as this enriches us all. We believe in an open world and the pursuit of happiness, after all, we are in the happiness business.
Company Overview – Time Out Digital
Time Out Group comprises two business divisions. Time Out Market and Time Out Digital. Time Out Digital is the Group’s multi-platform media, entertainment and e-commerce business with a global content distribution network comprising online, mobile, apps, social channels, magazines, guides, Live Events and international licensing agreements.
Time Out seeks to grow earnings from B2C and B2B relationships through e-commerce and offers as well as through advertising from businesses, including both global brands and local businesses.
About Time Out Group plc
Time Out is, and always has been, your best friend in the city. It all began in London in 1968 when Time Out helped people explore the exciting new urban cultures that started up all over the capital and we have consistently maintained our status as the ‘go to’ source of inspiration for both locals and visitors alike.
Today, Time Out is bringing its hunger for discovery and honest voice to 315 cities in 58 countries. We are proud to say that we are now the leading global media and entertainment business that inspires and enables people to make the most of the city. If you want to know about food, attractions, art, culture, shopping, nightlife and travel, then Time Out is your social companion.
Everything we do helps people discover, book and share what the world’s cities have to offer. From our powerful content and top-quality curation to the products and selected offers that can be booked directly with us, the solutions for partners to connect with our audience, or the imagination of our Live Events – we are global, and no one knows the city like us.
Our global reach includes a massive online presence, mobile applications, city magazines, guides and more. Now Time Out Market is taking that to the next level, bringing the best of a city together under one roof in Lisbon, and in 2019, new Time Out Markets are set to open in Miami, New York, Boston, Chicago and Montreal.
In 2016, Time Out Group was listed on London's AIM stock exchange, raising investment to position the company for the next stage of its growth and development. It is an exciting time as we are evolving this iconic brand into a digital, transactional business and continue to shape the future of the city experience for both locals and visitors.
Time Out is a dynamic, pioneering brand and so is our team. We want to work with the best and brightest talent because we work for the world’s greatest cities, the people enjoying them and the businesses in them.
As a truly global team we get to collaborate with colleagues from New York to Paris, Tokyo and Sydney and beyond. We are all driven by our passion to deliver the very best of the city experience and by our belief in the power of discovery. Our integrity, passion, curiosity, creativity and openness make us successful and a unique team.
Click 'Apply' now.
Job Applicant Privacy Notice